TSM Client 6.4.0 CAD Managed Schedule Error

G.Mais

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Hi everyone,

i tried to use the actual Client for Windows 2008 R2 (and 2012).
I configure the Client with CAD manage Schedule.
If the CAD service ist started (or restarted) one minute later the Scheduler looks for next backup time.
dsmwebcl.log is ok, dsmsched.log ok also.

But: dsmerror.log reports "ANS0361I DIAG: ReadSocketDetails: Unable to open timer file ..."

And: TSM Client does not backup next scheduled time

The timer file temporary exists (in the baclient directory).

Has someone an idea how to fix this fatal problem ?

Thanks

PREDATAR Control23

The client is installd vie silent installation in the system context.
It´sthe same, the client installed with an account which is member of local administrator.

The same installation precedure is used with earlier client versions and all is right there.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi there

Having the same issues with a freshly installed 2008 R2 node here.
Also using 6.4.0
Installed manualy as a member of the local administrators.
Have tried all manner of reinstall, removal, remove/reinstall services and registry cleaning without success.
I also tried running the services with a domain account included in the local admins, same results.

I have had this on other nodes after vmware cloning but those instances were fixed by removing the services and rebuilding them with the right nodename/password but this one is being stubborn.

Out of curiosity has your problematic node been rebooted ?

PREDATAR Control23

G.Mais could you try to add " SCHEDMODE PROMPTED " to your options file ?

I've been trying a few things on my side like explicitely specifying defaults in the options file and this one did it for me.
I'm working on a foreign box on an unfamiliar network and I'm thinking there may be IPv6 shenanigans happening.

Let me know if this unsticks things for you.

PREDATAR Control23

Workarround

Bacdef, a lot of thanks. Your " SCHEDMODE " idea let me test some things with it.

First, we use Client Option Sets to control the most Client Options. So we have only a short dsm.opt. Our SCHEDMODE-Option isn´t set in the dsm.opt, but in the Client Option Set.
Second, our SCHEDMODE is set to Prompted. Only behind firewalls we have to use Polling.

So i´m set in the dsm.opt SCHEDMODE to POLLING, our Client Option Set doesn´t overwrtite the dsm.opt.
Brilliant, no "ANS0361I DIAG: ReadSocketDetails: Unable to open timer file ..." message.
Now i try the way back and set SCHEDMODE to PROMPTED in the dsm.opt.
Excellent, also no "ANS0361I DIAG: ReadSocketDetails: Unable to open timer file ..." message.
Only if i remove the SCHEDMODE-Line from the dsm.opt, the "ANS0361I DIAG: ReadSocketDetails: Unable to open timer file ..." message comes back.

I think, this is a new bug in th 6.4 Client. The Client make a mistake interpreting the Client Option Set Parameter SCHEDMODE.
And there are not a lot of people who use Client Option Sets.

The Workarround is to set the SCHEDMODE in the dsm.opt.

I check the next days, the schedule is running corrctly.
If the schedule is running, i´ll open an IBM Support Request the next days. I´ll wait and see what happens.

I will document the result in this thread.

PREDATAR Control23

Me too: timer file error in the dsmerror.log

The Workarround is to set the SCHEDMODE in the dsm.opt.

I check the next days, the schedule is running corrctly.
If the schedule is running, i´ll open an IBM Support Request the next days. I´ll wait and see what happens.

I will document the result in this thread.
I ran into the same issue, and I'm trying SCHEDMODE PROMPTED in the dsm.opt as well. We will see if it works. Prognosis is promising since I did not immediately get the error regarding the timer file when I started up the dsmcad service and it started the dsmsched service. It got the schedule that it should. This client has also had an issue where it gets a schedule, and then the appointed time passes and nothing occurs...no errors in the logs, just nothing happens. We have several other clients like this as well. They work fine if I take dsmcad out of the loop and just run the scheduler service, but my superiors would prefer that I not do that because the standard here is to use the dsmcad service to launch the scheduler (seems silly to me to have two services to do one thing). Unfortunately, no one here knows how to troubleshoot the dsmcad service so I am resorting to Google. I have experience troubleshooting the scheduler service.

PREDATAR Control23

Hello everyone.

There have been some developements concerning this issue.
See here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC90502
It seems the workaround we put in place was the right way to go.

Furthermore it appears the issue was fixed in 6.4.1 !
See here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21625487

I have switched employers so I cannot go back and confirm that 6.4.1 resolves the issue on my affected hosts but maybe you guys can give it a try ?

JoeWeaver please check firewall settings on the nodes where 'nothing happens' when using the CAD. Your symptom (works with classic scheduling, nothing happens with the CAD) is a classic example of a node firewall not letting the server reach out to the node to start the schedule. Things work with classic scheduling because in this scenario the node schedules connects to the server.

PREDATAR Control23

Update

JoeWeaver please check firewall settings on the nodes where 'nothing happens' when using the CAD. Your symptom (works with classic scheduling, nothing happens with the CAD) is a classic example of a node firewall not letting the server reach out to the node to start the schedule. Things work with classic scheduling because in this scenario the node schedules connects to the server.
That is exactly what I thought as well. Perhaps I am misunderstanding how the dsmcad.exe works, but here is what I have done. Using cports.exe, I verify which port the dsmcad.exe is listening on. Right now, I see it listening on TCP 1581 and TCP 30621 on this client that is not backing up. From the TSM server, I log on and I run "telnet <clientname> 1581" and "telnet <clientname> 30621". It connects on both ports. Of course, every time I restart the dsmcad service, it listens on a different port. I have toyed with this repeatedly by changing the schedule to a couple of minutes in the future and then restarting the dsmcad on the client and verifying that it downloads its schedule, and then watching what happens in cports when the appointed time comes and goes. In short, nothing happens. It is strange and frustrating. Maybe I am misunderstanding how dsmcad interacts with the server. Like I said, I do not have much experience troubleshooting this service because I came from an environment that did not use it.