TSM Client 5.5 (Dont Upgrade Yet)

djchopps0013

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok we always test new versions of the server, client, tdp before we implement into production. We started testing 5.5 baclient and TDP for SQL. Have installed on 6 test systems. 4 of them are dead in the water now and PMRs opened with IBM. DONT UPGRADE YET. Is my advise. I know everyone doesnt have ability to test before dropping into production. I will post some of the errors we have been experiencing. On top of the issues, we tried to downgrade 3 of them back to 5.4.1 and are seeing errors we have never seen before.

First error:

Reciving error when trying to open the SQL client for backups.

Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_3BF8FA05\MFC80.DLL. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
Second error:

ACO5422E Received the floowing from the MS SQL server: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SQLServer.SMO, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=nuetral, PublicToken=89845dcd8080cc91 or on of its dependencies.

Last edited:
If you are using DP for SQL 5.5 with SQL Server 2000, there are several prereqs:

"SQL Server 2000 must be at Service Pack 4 (or later). In |addition, the following software is also required when using SQL Server 2000 with Data Protection for SQL 5.5.0:

• Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0 (or later)
  • Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 (or later)
  • Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Management Objects Collection"
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...ibm.itsmfd.doc/dpsql52.htm#dps_ref_ins_swreqs

You can download the prerequisites from here - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...60-A13C-4479-9B91-9E8B9D835CDC&displaylang=en

Last edited:
Much Appreciated. It was the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Management Objects Collection" prereq that wasnt meet. I installed and it fixed one of the errors we were seeing. I have had two tickets open with IBM on this for a week and you think that this would have been one of the first things that were checked. Anyways thanks again shran.

Not sure about this one. Once I installed correct packages needed I could do a manual backup of TDP data but i could not get the scheduler to start. I keep getting.

ANS2050E TSM needs to prompt for the password but cannot prompt because the process is running in the background.

I have tried to use the DSMCUTIL to update password in registry, no luck.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sched, no luck.
I have tried using the -TSMP=xxxxx at the TDP command line.

Any help would be appreciated.

What version of TSM Client (scheduler) are you using? If it is not 5.5, you will need to upgrade it also.

For pasword updates in windows I use small trick.start the dsm.exe with the opt file of the tdp node.it should prompt for pwd and store it in the registry.start it again to verify if it is able to read the pwd from reg.
Hope this helps:)

The new TSM client release (5.5.0) for Windows has crashed a server w/ Windows 2000 SP4 where we installed it => the Master Boot Record has become unreadable.
We tried again with a server built from the scratch still with Windows 2000 SP4 => same issue: Windows cannot boot.
Anyone else had this issue too?

Ypetiot,

I suspect that Windows crashed because of old age :)

On serious note, Windows 2000 is not supported by TSM Client 5.5.0. List of supported platforms - http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...opic/com.ibm.itsmfdt.doc/ans6000030.htm#winsw

OK my bad, I didn't check the requirements... :redface:
Nevertheless, Tivoli's developers should have included a checking of the OS during the installation procedure = "Sorry your OS is not supported"
The almost good thing, not for the users though, is that I was able to test a disaster recovery... :p

What version of TSM Client (scheduler) are you using? If it is not 5.5, you will need to upgrade it also.

I am using 5.5 ba client.

What the deal was anytime I would issue a dsmc q sched -optfile=xxxxx it would prompt me for the password and I would enter. Then as soon as I tried starting the schedule it would fail with the ANS2050E message. I would check the registry and the registry entry for the password would completely disappear after trying to start the sched.

Weird. I resolved this issue by naming the schedule something different then the standard naming convention we use. and it worked. IBM couldnt explain.

Nevertheless, Tivoli's developers should have included a checking of the OS during the installation procedure = "Sorry your OS is not supported"
The almost good thing, not for the users though, is that I was able to test a disaster recovery... :p

Dont tell your boss that :eek:

Unfortunately I found this post about a day too late. My organization is working on a recovery without restore procedure that I will post in detail at a later date. (Hopefully early next week.) Hopefully this information will help someone else.

Can you upgrade server and not worry about the clients? or do you have to do at the same time?

Can you upgrade server and not worry about the clients? or do you have to do at the same time?

hi,
i'd always upgrade server before and clients after a while ... just to keep potential problems separate ... and try and read some "readme" file, although a pain in the neck.

cheers
max

IBM created an apar for this already:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC54423

Fixed in 5.4.1.5 and above as well as 5.5.0.1 and above.

Robert

Back