TSM Backupset in a Directory Container

Josep

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I have working my offsite backups using "generate backupset" from every node in a TSM 7.1.1.1 previous to a Spectrum Protect.

Recently I've installed a new Spectrum Protect with a directory container disk pool and ... Why can I generate backupsets without devclass parameter? I don't have any devclass associated to my directory container storage pool

My script to generate backupsets has a line like this for every node:

dsmadmc -id=admin -password=xxxxxx "generate backupset RACDES1_ORA racdes1_ora DEVclass=EXPNODEDCS VOL=racdes1_ora.ost RET=14 TOC=yes DESC=grandes"

When I launch the command over TSM v7.1.7.0 (Spectrum Protect) I received the next error:

ANR2351E GENERATE BACKUPSET: Device class EXPNODEDCS is not defined.

My devclasses and storage pools are:

tsm: TSMSP>q devclass
Sesión establecida con el servidor TSMSP: Windows
Servidor Versión 7, Release 1, Nivel 7.0

Device Device Storag- Device Format Est/Max Mount
Class Access e Pool Type Capacit- Limit
Name Strategy Count y (MB)
--------- ---------- ------- --------- ------ -------- ------
DBBCKFD Sequential 0 FILE DRIVE 1.024.00 200,0
DISK Random 3
TOCCLASS Sequential 1 FILE DRIVE 10.240,0 20

tsm: TSMSP>q stg

Storage Device Storage Estimated Pct Pct Hig- Lo- Next Stora-
Pool Name Class Name Type Capacity Util Migr h M- w ge Pool
----------- ---------- --------- ---------- ----- ----- ---- --- -----------
ARCHIVEPOOL DISK DEVCLASS 0,0 M 0,0 0,0 90 70
BACKUPPOOL DISK DEVCLASS 0,0 M 0,0 0,0 90 70
SPACEMGPOOL DISK DEVCLASS 0,0 M 0,0 0,0 90 70
TOCPOOL TOCCLASS DEVCLASS 0,0 M 0,0 0,0 90 70
TSMDIRPOOL DIRECTORY 7.167 G 71,0

Direcory container storage pool where the node's backup goes is TSMDIRPOOL.

PREDATAR Control23

Ok, Question solved:

From the IBM documentation, GENERATE BACKUPSET is not supported in the new version directory container storage pools.

Reference:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...ctory-container storage pools FAQs?section=q3

Q4. Can I use existing commands or utilities to move data out of a directory-container storage pool?
No, but these, or similar, capabilities are being considered by IBM Spectrum Protect product management for the future roadmap. Traditional move and copy features are not supported for directory-container storage pools. You cannot use the following commands with directory-container storage pools:

BACKUP STGPOOL
EXPORT/IMPORT
GENERATE BACKUPSET
MOVE DATA
MOVE NODEDATA
MIGRATE STGPOOL

PREDATAR Control23

It's common for people to use backupsets instead of a good retention policy.

What are your requirements? You may not need to do backupsets to meet those requirements.

PREDATAR Control23

My requirements are: alternative backup offsite and offline.
We have our backups in TSM (now in Spectrum Protect) and, weekly, we extract a copy of active data (long time ago doing export node and recently using generate backupset to an external and removable disk (we have a couple and allways have one in a fire-proctect place). With Spectrum Protect new directory container we can't obtain export node or backupset. Is important for us to keep working our offsite/offline weekly backup generation and we don't know how. Any ideas?

PREDATAR Control23

We have our backups in TSM (now in Spectrum Protect) and, weekly, we extract a copy of active data (long time ago doing export node and recently using generate backupset to an external and removable disk (we have a couple and allways have one in a fire-proctect place).

It's rather an archaic and inefficient method to handle offsite copy. With traditional storage pools, you should have used a copy pool with backup stgpool to handle your offsite requirements. It would use less tape than your method, easier to manage, and give you the same offsite protection.

With container pools, if you are at 7.1.7 or above, you can do a protect stgpool to tape, and store these tapes offsite with your database backup. You can do this daily for better protection. The advantage of protect stgpool to tape is that the data is not rehydrated, only the new extents are sent to tape as the previous are already on tape in your vault. So you would use even less tapes than a traditional backup stgpool because your copy container pool is also deduplicated.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.7/srv.common/r_techchg_srv_copycont_717.html

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you for your response but I forgot to say that we don't have any tape hardware, all our tsm backup is over disk.
In the link you provide seems better idea for disaster scenarios use a replication server than a copy pool... I'll check if we can use this solution with our Tivoli licenses.
On the other hand, for us is very simple to restore node data directly from a tsm-client (no tsm server running is necessary) from backupset. We've used this recovery method for simple restore operations many times. Solutions like replication server don't give us this chance and we need to install and configure whole tsm server before we begin to recover from backup in a disaster scenario.

PREDATAR Control23

Solutions like replication server don't give us this chance and we need to install and configure whole tsm server before we begin to recover from backup in a disaster scenario.
Actually it's the exact opposite because the 2nd Spectrum Protect is online 7x24 and ready. Every day after client backups, you use PROTECT STGPOOL to copy your container pool to the 2nd server, and then use REPLICATE NODE to send all the metadata for the node data. And if you configure automatic failover on the clients. If a clients tries to do a restore and the primary server is down, it will automatically connect to the secondary server.

However, you appear new to container pool, replicatation, etc. Before enabling any new features, you should familiarize yourself with them and make sure the server is properly sized otherwise you will be in worse trouble than now.

PREDATAR Control23

With arrangement that you propose is still not solved offline requirement with our tape-less backup system.
We're thinking about to configure two tsm-replica servers over two vm's inside removable disks in order to have all the advantages. Why two? ... because while first one is online receiving repliacation, the second one is in safe place and disconnected.

PREDATAR Control23

Given your requirement to have a copy offline, you should have not implemented container pools OR obtain a tape library to perform a protect stgpool to tape.

With your current config, your hands are tied, you cannot have an offline copy.

PREDATAR Control23

Oh, I got an idea.

Keep your primary as-is.

Configure a target for replication, on the target you use a file dedup pool instead of a container pool. From the target, you will be able to to exports and backupsets from the filepool. This will give you two big benefits:
- your DR server will always be online, so quick seamless restore for clients
- you will also have an offline copy with your export and/or backupset.