TSM Archive retention

kevlee

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, question on TSM archive retention:-

If an archive copygroup is deleted I believe the archive data then defaults to the default MC in that domain or the grace retention for the domain if the default MC does not have an archive copygroup. Correct??

The issue I have is that several nodes have been moved into a new domain (supposed to be temporary as we had stgpool issues with lack of space and lan free problems, etc) . These nodes have lots of archived data, some with long term retention (3 years plus). Unfortunately the MC's were not duplicated into the new domain so everything now gets the default MC and archive copygroup (we were fortunate in that the default copygroup had a 2600 day retention so we haven't lost any data). Looking at the archived data via the dsmj GUI the MC name is now replaced with a '-' (default) . We are concerned about moving the nodes back into the original domain as the default copygroup retention is 365 days meaning we would lose data if it retained the default. Some of the 'missing' MC's have now been created in the new domain and when I look at some of the archives now via dsmj GUI the '-' default MC has now been replaced with original MC the archive had!!!.

Is that the case, that archives don't get rebound against new MC and that in fact the archives do not lose the MC and just pick up the default if the original MC no longer exists ( a select statement from archives seems to to reflect this as all the MC's used by those nodes are still displayed). If that is the case then all we would need to do is ensure we re-create all of the original MC's in the new domain and then move back to original domain (In fact we may be able to move back to original domain without re-creating MC's in new domain)?????.

Any information, advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If that is the case then all we would need to do is ensure we re-create all of the original MC's in the new domain and then move back to original domain (In fact we may be able to move back to original domain without re-creating MC's in new domain)?????.
That is correct.

You should do one of those 3 things immediately so you don't loose any data:
- disable expiration
- or create all the MCs in the new domain
- or move the nodes back to the original domain

Ok, I thought that was probably the case (Looks like we haven't lost any data as default archive copygroup has longer retention than the other copygroups. So looks like we'll be ok to move all back to original domain). Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Back