TSM and Scalar i6000

zatogo

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I work mainly with IBM libraries and am struggling with a Scalar i6000 library with HP LTO4 drives connected to two physical AIX servers running TSM.

The scenario:
Server 1...AIX 5 with TSM 5.5...original server that is using the library. Atape used with tape drives; changer discovered through TSM devices.
Server 2...AIX 7 with TSM 6.3...new TSM server with Atape loaded.

The plan is ot make Server 2 a TSM library manager and make server 1 a library client until it is retired.

The issue:
While the new TSM Server can see all the tape drives and can manipulate them with Tapeutil, we can not see the changer/robot. We went through smitty devices, TSM devices but nothing gets found when the discovery is run.

The questions:
1. Is there any other software/drivers I need to load beyond ATAPE and the TSM Device driver?
2. Is it not possible for two AIX servers to see the same robot at the same time?
3. Is there a setting in the library that gives the TSM server access to the robot?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...I've been through the manuals and web searches but no luck.

I am familiar with the ADIC/QTM Libs.

1. No other Software Necessary, Thats for Sure.
2. Its is possible to have many servers control the robot

Which brings us to 3. Where i think your problem lies. I'm figuring your tape drives are connected to an FC I/O Blade.
The I/O Blade then has an FC Cable to your SAN SW Gear.

After you zone the I/O Blade to the AIX host, you then need to login to the QTM LIbrary
Click View, Select Physical Library

Setup-Device then Select Access, Then FC HOST,
Under FC Host you should see the entries for Each HBA you have Zoned, Give them a friendly name, like Servername_FCS1

After you confirm your host shows up properly.

Setup-Device then Select Access, Then LUN Mapping Wizard
Look at the config you have for the AIX host thats seeing the library.
Select the Entry and click next till you get to the LUN Mapping page, This is where u will assign a tape drive, library/robot which is really the (Partition)

The Host/HBA thats assigned the Partition is the one that controls the arm.
Certainly you can have multiple host managing the arm, but you only want one doing so. LOL

Place a call with QTM support and they can walk u thru it better than i can.

Thanks for the feedback...the admin heard back from the library vendor today who it sounds like told them essentially the same thing...in addition, they had to power cycle a fiber I/O blade in the library as well.

All is now good.

Back