TSM and Infiniband

vayala

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

Does anybody have used or configured TSM backups with Infiniband, NOT using the GPFS or ESS appliance?

Thanks.

PREDATAR Control23

??

Infiniband is a communications protocol and I am not sure what this has to do with GPFS or ESS appliances. GPFS is a Filesystem and the ESS is a Storage System unless you mean Infiniband into the ESS.

TSM would not care what communications link you are running into the storage device as long as it can see the storage.

PREDATAR Control23

I worked 17 years for Big Blue and there is no doubt that the core of ESS, the Spectrum Scale (former name GPFS) is a saleable filesystem. For good reason, it has some installations for High Performance Computing where the required expert skills are available to bring a GPFS cluster up and keep it running. This is typically not the case in commercial environments were IT staff has limited resources and business requires simple to manage rather than complex solutions. I know various customers that have or are in transition from GPFS to Isilon and they all prefer Isilon due to the simplicity for installation and maintenance.