TSM admin without the root access.

sudheer_kb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the best way to setup the TSM administrator on TSM server/AIX without the UNIX root access for day to day TSM administrative work and other TSM projects

I know the SUDO access to some AIX command which is very essential for the day to day TSM admin., work.

Maybe I misunderstand, but as a TSM Administrator, you don't need access to AIX at all. The server itself should run from root - but once its running, anybody with execute access to, say, dsmadmc (and write access to its logfiles) can manage TSM. (Or you do it completely remote from any other machine running dsmadmc).

PJ

I mean the access for some of unix commands being used for the troubleshoot tape drives or disk issues (commands like lscfg,rmdev etc..) or some of the scripts which has to be run with root priveledge like bring up the TSM servers.

I see. We tried that using sudo but in the end it turned out, that our carefully planned list of sudo exceptions never covered the one and only command that was required to fix virtually any of the unforseen particular problems at hand. So in the end we gave it all up and simply started trusting our admins with the root passwords. Anyway: heres a number of things that come to mind:
lsdev
rmdev
mkdev
cfgmgr
dsmserv
varyonvg
varyoffvg
chfs
ifconfig
installp

PJ

For day-to-day activities you should not need anything more than access to dsmadmc. For troubleshooting hardware, you need root...plain and simple. Either yourself or the admin of the box.

-Aaron

Back