• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

TSM admin without the root access.

sudheer_kb

ADSM.ORG Member
Can someone tell me the best way to setup the TSM administrator on TSM server/AIX without the UNIX root access for day to day TSM administrative work and other TSM projects

I know the SUDO access to some AIX command which is very essential for the day to day TSM admin., work.

PJ

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Maybe I misunderstand, but as a TSM Administrator, you don't need access to AIX at all. The server itself should run from root - but once its running, anybody with execute access to, say, dsmadmc (and write access to its logfiles) can manage TSM. (Or you do it completely remote from any other machine running dsmadmc).

PJ

sudheer_kb

ADSM.ORG Member
I mean the access for some of unix commands being used for the troubleshoot tape drives or disk issues (commands like lscfg,rmdev etc..) or some of the scripts which has to be run with root priveledge like bring up the TSM servers.

PJ

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
I see. We tried that using sudo but in the end it turned out, that our carefully planned list of sudo exceptions never covered the one and only command that was required to fix virtually any of the unforseen particular problems at hand. So in the end we gave it all up and simply started trusting our admins with the root passwords. Anyway: heres a number of things that come to mind:
lsdev
rmdev
mkdev
cfgmgr
dsmserv
varyonvg
varyoffvg
chfs
ifconfig
installp

PJ

heada

ADSM.ORG Moderator
For day-to-day activities you should not need anything more than access to dsmadmc. For troubleshooting hardware, you need root...plain and simple. Either yourself or the admin of the box.

-Aaron

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 8.0%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrescht