TSM Admin Responsibilities

edaguero

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,
I have been working with TSM for around 1 year now, and would love to get some feedback/recommendations around how much time should be dedicated each day to TSM for both Server + Client activities?
Our environment is made up of 2 TSM Servers (soon to be 3) with 300 nodes.

I solely perform all the Server side activities, all client activities (failed, missed jobs), Tape Library ops, NDMP EMC Isilon daily operations as well as all our TDP nodes.

I heard a while back that IBM recommends a tsm admin for every 3 Servers.
I am trying to justify to management how much time I should be spending on the environment, and what is required. I think they generally just see TSM as backups only. Any help would be appreciated.

PREDATAR Control23

To be honest, as is, you are loaded.

Do you do the troubleshooting of the FAILED or MISSED backups, or is this delegated to the System Admins? If you do this work, then you are really loaded.

TSM server housekeeping requires about 1 to 2 hours work each server. In your case, this translated to 6 hours (max) daily. Factor in the client troubleshooting and you may spend an additional 2 to 8 hours depending on quantity and complexity of issues.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I also perform most of the troubleshooting for missed/failed jobs, however I try to pass these on as much as possible.
I think the big question that management have is "why do you need to spend so much time with TSM? Don't you just set it up and leave it?"
Before TSM, we were running on a Symantec environment, which required not as much intervention, and I think that management's mindset haven't changed and don't realize what a monster TSM is.

Any tips on how I can express this to them?