TSM admin (command line & web) not communicating with library

COUGARXR71997

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have an Overland NEO 4000 series library which is connected via fiber channel to the server.

TSM runs on a windows 2003 server.

So far , it has been verified that the fiber switch and card on the server are functioning properly, however, tsm cannot communicate with the library. The TSM errors are:

ANR8310E An I/O error occurred while accessing library NEO.

ANR8441E Initialization failed for SCSI library NEO.

The removable storage service is disabled, but if i enable it, i get the following error

Configuration for device changer0 failed.

However, if i turn the library off, windows notifies me that the 2 HP lto1 drives and the changer have gone offline. And then it notifies me that they are back online when i power the library on.

HP tools gives errors when trying to find the drives.

VS tools cant communicate with the library.

Overland support is stumped, I am stumped, I have tried everything with tsm I know how to do. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be going on ?

My biggest question in all of this: is it a tsm problem? or is it an hardware problem with the library?

Thanks

Hi,

We had a lot of problems with TSM and Neo4000 on SCSI - I/O Errors, disconnecting of the drives etc. It all vanished introducing the FC. Since then it is rock stable. Moreover we run our TSM on Linux ... so I do not think it will help much so just some comments ....

The same problem, as you have, with defining the library to TSM was solved by our Overland supplier by updating the firmware of the library and unifying the firmware of drives.

Only other thing which comes to my mind is using the TSM OEM device driver (as recommended)

Hope it helps

Harry

Harry,

Thanks for the reply.

We have done the firm ware upgrade to the neo. However, since the firmware upgrade I have been locked out of terminal server or anything command line. I cannot telnet to the unit. All i get is an "ok." at the command line.

Overland is still stumped.

I have gone back through tsm and q nodes f=d and q path f=d and all i see is that tsm can communicate with the tsm server and its online. however, the two tape drives are markes as offline. even if i update the path, it wont bring the drives online. it says no path is defined. If i try and define a path its not able to do it.

**Regarding the tsm OEM driver, how is that done? how can i specify tsm to use that driver?

I am unsure of how to do that since i wasnt around at the time and didnt set tsm up.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

:)

Hi,

sorry for late response - had a week off.

If the library is OK, you should be able to connect to it via FTP or web browser. Or you can use NeoCenter software (from Overland website).

I have encountered the problem you describe (unable to create paths in TSM with I/O error in activity log) was a result of different firmware in modules A and B in our 4200 library.

And OEM driver? When you are installing TSM under Windows system, there is a TSM OEM device driver on the CD - it is recommended by IBM to use this driver. You can set it up using the TSM MMC plugin. I have did it only once on our manual drive and do not remember the exact steps :sad: ... but it was rather intuitive task. During this task you can see the device description of the drive and the library (should be like lb.1.0.0.1 and mt.1.0.0.2 or something like that - not changer0 for sure) you have to use in define path command.

As I have said before our TSM runs on linux and I have encountered TSM for Windows configuration long time ago ... so correct me anybody if I am wrong :)

Hope it helps

Harry

Back