TSM 8.1 will work with AIX 5.3 (oracle 10.2)

okriss

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I gave to upgrade the 7.1.3 TSM server to 8.1.x.
I have collected the needed information about version compatibility, but i have problem with AIX versions.

As I see, (https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21053218 ) the 6.3.x client can work with the new 8.1, so i wont have to upgrade every client in our environment.
We have AIX 5.3 with Oracle 10.2. (AIX is end of support...I think Ora version is in the same situation...)
Can you help me with which AIX and Oracle version can work with the Spectrum Protect 8.1.x?

Thank you for your help!

I'm sorry, are you looking to get AIX 5.3 and Oracle 10.2 working with TSM 8.1?
Or you looking to upgrade AIX and Oracle to supported versions?
This here is a great starting point https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21218747

If looking to have Oracle 10.2 work with TSM 8.1, I had some bad luck with that. In the end, we finally upgraded Oracle and the TSM/TDPO client.
In the mean time, the work around was to have the DBA's drop flat file backups to disk and come by with traditional client to capture them.

I'm sorry, are you looking to get AIX 5.3 and Oracle 10.2 working with TSM 8.1?

Hi,
Thank you for your answer!

I have not been very clear.
So...We have AIX 5.3 and Oracle 10.2 with baclient 5.5.0.6 ( we makes oracle db backup with tdpo 5.5.1) i would be very happy if we should not upgrade the AIX os and the Oracle version...
I cannot find the proper list for AIX and TDPO versions...and i try to reach the highest version without AIX/oracle upgrade what can work with 8.1.x SpecPortect server.

At the top of on my link, i found a frame what show the compatibility between clients and server versions.
As i see 8.1.x server is able to work with client 6.3 (and above), in this case, i have no other chance and i have to upgrade aix and oracle....
Could it be real?

So the link I posted above is the supported version list.
So really 7 and 8 is the current supported list along with Oracle 11r2 and 12.
I can only speak from my experience with Oracle 10 on Aix 6.1.7.4 with TDP api 5.5 and client 6.3 I think? I'm sorry, its been too long, and well....it didn't work with TSM server 7.1.x.

The sad news is its so far out of support, both Oracle and IBM will wash their hands if there's any issues and will not provide any assistance with backups/restores.

I have been reading the compatibility descriptions days ago... :)
I could not find any workaround, but i think, it doesn't exist at all.
Thank you for your help! Helped me a lot!

The work around is to have backup to flat files on attached disk.
Use the regular client to capture those backups with the appropriate management class. Just keep in mind that the regular client is out of support as well, which could cause issues down the road.

Hello!

Some update for this thread!

As you recommended, i have tested the backups.
The file level backups and restore ran well (win + linux + aix). I could make backups from oracle db and its completed without any error, but when we ran backup validation with rrman scripts it crashed.
We cannot test the backups...
So, we had let it go!

Back