TSM 7 - Default installation path

lipi

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to install TSM 7 client on Linux machines under a customized path. I have the RPM's but I don't know how to install it wherever I want.

- Is it possible?
- Is it supported?

i.e.: /opt/ibm/tivoli/tsm/7.1.1/client/

Thank you very much.

According to the manual: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...bm.itsm.client.doc/t_inst_linuxx86client.html

/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin is considered to be the default installation directory for many backup-archive client files. The sample system-options file (dsm.sys.smp) is written to this directory. If the DSM_DIR environment variable is not set, the dsmc executable file, the resource files, and the dsm.sys file are stored in this directory.

If DSM_CONFIG is not set, the client user-options file must be in this directory.

If you do not define DSM_LOG, writes messages to the dsmerror.log and dsmsched.log files in the current working directory.

I'd recommend not putting the version number in your path, when you upgrade to 7.1.2, 7.2, 8.1 or whatever, the path won't make sense anymore. It will not affect functionality, but my OCD would hate it if the path had a version number different than the actual version installed.

I can do a symlink from /opt/ibm/tivoli/tsm/latest to /opt/ibm/tivoli/tsm/7.1.1

How can I change the path using RPMs? Should I extract them and manually move the files or is there an other way? (like a flag to rpm)

I have never done it myself, the way I understand the manual is if you create an environment variable called DSM_DIR before you install it, it will install it there.
If the DSM_DIR environment variable is not set, the dsmc executable file, the resource files, and the dsm.sys file are stored in this directory.

You can test it and find out.

Hello Marclant,

I tested it and it does not work. It unpacked the rpm in the pre-defined directory.

Tried also:
host:/home/admin/tsmcli-7.1.1-x86_64/rpm # rpm -U --prefix=/opt/ibm/tivoli/tsm/7.1.1/ TIVsm-API64.x86_64.rpm

and package is not relocatable.

Can you send me the output of:
Code:
echo $DSM_DIR

Code:
xxxx:/home/admin/tsmcli-7.1.1-x86_64/rpm # env|grep DSM
DSM_LOG=/opt/ibm/tivoli/tsm/7.1.1/client/ba/log
DSM_DIR=/opt/ibm/tivoli/tsm/7.1.1/client/ba/bin
DSM_CONFIG=/opt/ibm/tivoli/tsm/7.1.1/client/ba/conf

xxxx:/home/admin/tsmcli-7.1.1-x86_64/rpm # echo $DSM_DIR
/opt/ibm/tivoli/tsm/7.1.1/client/ba/bin

Did you create those before or after the install? If before, it does not sound like it behaves like the manual says. If after, it would be expected.

Did you create those before or after the install? If before, it does not sound like it behaves like the manual says. If after, it would be expected.

Of course I set the variable before installation.

It seems not to be working as expected. I'll ask for IBM support.

Regards
Felip

Of course I set the variable before installation.

It seems not to be working as expected. I'll ask for IBM support.

Regards
Felip

Oh, what I've seen:

The installation is done in the default directory, but if you set up the variables when you run the binaries, it will search files in specified directories. It gives you the possibility to separate config and log directories from binary directories, taking in mind that you'll have to always export the variables before running, no more.

Regards
Felip

Back