TSM 7.1 Change backup of DB to file instead of tape?

krelvin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.tnet.com
TSM 7.1 AIX server fairly new upgraded system with LTO 6 drives. Currently the db backup is in the 30gb range... on to LTO6 tapes.. a lot of tapes are used for dbbackup instead of actual backed up date.

Is it possible to change this to backup to files instead which could then be replicated to our DR for access there and if necessary used locally to recover a corrupt DB or restore the system?

Any examples of how this could be done?

SAN is based on XIV Gen3 with full replication to DR site.

Easy - point the DB backup to a DEVCLASS=FILE. See 'help define DEVCLASS' (on TSM 6.3.3 - it is HELP 3.13.10.7)

This is my setup which replicates to a remote backup site.

Thanks... Do you know if the DB backups that you have on disk are already compressed? or can they be afterwards. Not sure how much disk I need to allocate for this. We currently have as many as 11 DB tapes floating around in the library or at DR now. However we are only doing DR tape moves once a week..

Thanks... Do you know if the DB backups that you have on disk are already compressed? or can they be afterwards. Not sure how much disk I need to allocate for this. We currently have as many as 11 DB tapes floating around in the library or at DR now. However we are only doing DR tape moves once a week..

I don't think TSM applies compression. The compression applied is with the DD appliance that I use to store the DB Backup.

Calculate disk space based on the size of the current DB + 10% then multiply the sum by the number of DB backups to keep, or so called DB retention period.

Back