TSM 6.3/7.1 Database FP can patch?

fxsg123

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I've a question. I understand tsm v6.3 is using DB2 9.7 while v7.1 is using DB2 10.5.

Can I said TSM DB2 is an embedded version and upgrading FP will definitely breaks it's integrity?

If DB2 said 9.7 or 10.5 release a new FP, can we patch it ourselves?

Thanks

You cannot apply DB Fixed packs outside of TSM. TSM releases Fix Packs by way of sub-levels, i.e. 7.1.5 -> 7.1.5.2 or 7.1.3 -> 7.1.5 which may or may not contain FP for the DB2 environment.

You cannot apply DB Fixed packs outside of TSM. TSM releases Fix Packs by way of sub-levels, i.e. 7.1.5 -> 7.1.5.2 or 7.1.3 -> 7.1.5 which may or may not contain FP for the DB2 environment.
Well you can technically, but (of course) you shouldn't(unless your goal is to have unsupported TSM Server).
This usually comes up because of stupid SW scans.

Well you can technically, but (of course) you shouldn't(unless your goal is to have unsupported TSM Server).
This usually comes up because of stupid SW scans.

Did try before and it "blew up" the TSM environment - so I stick to the simple answer, NO.

I know of one case of one environment being patched (some years ago, it was something like 6.0-6.2). But it was something totally insignificant and - so far as I know - they were lucky, and they haven't tried it again.
I would say, it's much better if it blews up immediately, rather than finding out during next update and having to try and beg SW support to help you with unsupported product.
I absolutely agree it shouldn't be tried.

Thanks all for your response, appreciated!!

Hi lib, yup; my problem origin from SW scan also.
However, partly because of my curiosity, i hope to understand tsm in relation to this topic better also.

By the way, moon-buddy, lib or anyone familiar, exactly which area (or the errors you encounter point to which area) problem arise after patching DB2 (not DB2 version update, just FP)?

For other "embedded" DB2 Tivoli products like TLKM, DB2 FP patching is supported officially.
As for the reason of why its supported, respective support claim because the product use "standard full" DB2.
My understanding - if correct, TSM use "standard full" DB2 also, of course with customise view and table (but so does other Tivoli products with embedded DB2).

Anything can happen, it depends on
-What does the patch do
-Whether it changes anything that TSM expect to be in certain way and it will be in another way
-Whether it changes anything that any future release may expect to be in one way
Generally, it's way to get unpredictable results.
So just don't do it, if you already done it(and TSM still seems to be OK), try to make sure your previous dbb doesn't expire, and try getting in touch with SW support(I don't know if they will tell you your product is unsupported, or something else - but it's worth trying).

For me, information that TKLM support separate DB2 patching is new, do you have any official link that says so, please? I can maybe guess it's so small a DB that there may be no need for tuning there (unlike with TSM) but still it's strange.

Anything can happen, it depends on
-What does the patch do
-Whether it changes anything that TSM expect to be in certain way and it will be in another way
-Whether it changes anything that any future release may expect to be in one way
Generally, it's way to get unpredictable results.
So just don't do it, if you already done it(and TSM still seems to be OK), try to make sure your previous dbb doesn't expire, and try getting in touch with SW support(I don't know if they will tell you your product is unsupported, or something else - but it's worth trying).

For me, information that TKLM support separate DB2 patching is new, do you have any official link that says so, please? I can maybe guess it's so small a DB that there may be no need for tuning there (unlike with TSM) but still it's strange.

Hi llib, for tklm there's no official link as in docu, but I logged two pmr, and given the standard db2 patch download link. The second pmr specifically ask is it support, the answer is yes.

So, even thought two product with embedded db2, tsm doesn't support standard db2 patch release.

It's frustrating as tsm db2 keep flag out security concern and we can't patch to the latest fp. Even if we go to a higher tsm version, it's db2 might not be the latest too.

If you need a specific DB2 FP, you can use this table to see at which TSM version it is included:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...orage+Manager/page/TSM+Schedule+for+Fix-Packs
It's frustrating as tsm db2 keep flag out security concern and we can't patch to the latest fp. Even if we go to a higher tsm version, it's db2 might not be the latest too.
You can open a PMR with TSM Support regarding that, you won't get a fix, but it will get the issue on the radar and that FP in question may get rolled in quicker rather than later.

Back