TSM 6.3.3 AIX 7.1 ANR2981E Database backup terminated DB2 sqlcode -2033 sqlerrmc 106

jharris

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

OK,

I'm in the process of building a few TSM 6.3.3 servers on AIX 7.1.

My first instance works perfectly, but the second instance won't backup the database when dsmserv has been automatically started after a system reboot. I get the following error: ANR2981E Database backup terminated due to environment or setup issue related to file access - DB2 sqlcode -2033 sqlerrmc 106

I'm pretty sure this is just a simple file security/pathing problem, so I've tried everything I can think of regarding environment variable, file/folder ownership, deleting the tsmdbmgr.log file, reseting the dsmapipw password (multiple times) and examining the necesarry option file stanza's for any sneaky typo's...

But wait, here's the kicker... If I halt the server, login with account 'tsminst1' and make sure I'm in the instance folder /home/tsminst1/tsminst1 , I can run '/opt/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmerv -q' then issue a backup db command via a dsmadmc console and it all works fine. If I then halt the server again, reboot and let the /etc/inittab run the dsmserv process, it fails.

The /etc/inittab file has the following line in it:
tsminst1:2:eek:nce:/opt/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/rc.dsmserv -u tsminst1 -i /home/tsminst1/tsminst1 -q >/dev/console 2>&1

Any help would be much appreciated as I've got another two instances I need to build asap.

PREDATAR Control23

Try using this:

Code:
tsmserv:2:once:su - tsminst1 -c '/opt/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmserv -q &' >/dev/console 2>&1

PREDATAR Control23

No worries, moon-buddy ... I can use su to get around it, that will get me out of trouble for now ... but, I'm still boggled as to why the other build works fine.

PREDATAR Control23

Have you set the TSM API variables in the ../sqllib/userprofile
Did you run the set DBRECOVERY command in TSM ?
You could try;
tsminst1:2:eek:nce:/opt/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/rc.dsmserv -U tsminst1 -i /home/tsminst1/tsminst1 -q >/dev/console 2>&1

Using an upper case U will run dsmserv as root which is better way to handle tape drive reservations​

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the tips ... All appears ok now, using SU ... I might also try the alternate -U option and see how I get on.

Interestingly, I always have to modify dsmtca so that the the SUID bit is set for user root... ie. chmod u+s dsmtca. Now why can't this just be done during installation as that's caused me grief for the last three AIX builds too with other DB Backup issues ... particularly DB2 sqlerrmc: 138 .

PREDATAR Control23

I had the same error but it turns out that the root cause were access rights for tsmdbmgr.log file
Owner was root user and TSM instance user had no write access.