TSM 6.1 on Red Hat Linux and Library drivers?

khurram

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Guys,

I am implementing TSM 6.1 on Red Hat Linux V5.5 and confused about tape library drivers. My tape library is IBM TS3200. Should i download TS3200 tape drivers for RHEL from IBM website ? or whether TSM default device drivers which come during TSM installation will be enough?

I am doing TSM server installation on Linux platform for the first time so need a guidance in this regard?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards

Guys,

I am implementing TSM 6.1 on Red Hat Linux V5.5 and confused about tape library drivers. My tape library is IBM TS3200. Should i download TS3200 tape drivers for RHEL from IBM website ? or whether TSM default device drivers which come during TSM installation will be enough?

I am doing TSM server installation on Linux platform for the first time so need a guidance in this regard?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards

Use the IBM tape device drivers!

I have good experience with this driver (available from IBM tape support site):
lin_tape-1.27.0-1.src.rpm.bin

Regards,
Nicke

Guys

Many thanks for advice,

But my problem is that binary rpm version of this tape device driver from IBM is not available for my Linux kernel version. Being Red hat Linux 's latest version , my kernel version is at much higher level.

I know that in this case this src version can recompiled , however dont know steps for recompiling this device driver.

Can you please highlight here steps for recompiling this src rpm version on Red hat Linux?

Many thanks in advance

There are good instructions on how to do this in either the readme that comes with the driver or the manual that can be downloaded from the same area as the driver.

Guys

I have downloaded lin_tape.xxx. src version for red hat Linux 64 bit , recompiled it successfully and installed final version of rpm.

Lin_taped daemon also started succcessfully.

In /dev directory i also got IBMchanger0, IBMtape0 and IBMtape1 devices. after device driver installation.

However when i tried to define path to library , it is continuosly failing with I/O error 15.

Command which i used...

define library TS3100LIB libtype scsi

define path GXserver TS3100LIB srctype=server desttype=library autodetection=yes device=/dev/IBMchanger0 online=yes.

By the way my library is not TS3200 but TS3100, Does it make any differenece? In waht situation we should have to use IBM TapeUtils device driver instead of lin_tape device driver?

Please advice as i am stuck!!

Guys

Just doing research on this subject?

Am i using right device for configuring library ( like /dev/IBMchanger0)?

I am running TSM server ( dsmserv ) by a non root user ID , in my case tsminst1... while /dev/IBMchanger0 is owned by root user?

DO i have to change permisions on /dev/IBM* to something like 777?

Now another question is that there is no /dev/tmscsi directory exist in my system? I am sure it is because i am not using TSM pass through drivers? What if decide to switch to passthrough device driver from TSM instead of lin_tape device driver?

Pls advice!!!

Hi.

Yes, you'll need to make sure that the user under which the TSM server runs has the ability to read & write the device special files. You can either change the permissions or change the ownership. Of the two, I usually recommend changing the ownership since you don't normally want to give everyone on the system permission to access the devices.

I did find some documentation on this on the IBM web site, although it doesn't say much more than what I just said:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21396591

I don't know if your problem is solved by the latest reply, but I've had the same problem with drive paths going down in a TSM 5.5 RedHat server and I had to change the option "SANDISCOVERY" to value "PASSIVE".

After this option setting the Library connection is stable (more than 7 months now).

Ref IBM support info:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21398887

Regards,
Nicke in Sweden

Back