TSM 6.1 license questions

slonk

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

TSM 6.1 is licensed for server core's (using PVU mechanism) and for workstations (client license).

This works out nicelys for a vitualized environment. Our about 40 servers are running on only two servers, both having two quad-core cpu's. Each core counts for 50PVU's, for a total of 16 x 50 = 800 PVU's. Seperate from this we need a client license for every workstation.

Question 1: Do I need to count the core('s) for the TSM servers also? Or does this come "free"? (could find no mention of this in all the presentations about licensing...)

Question 2: Suppose I want to use not one but two TSM servers. For example I want to backup my servers to two different locations (in house and off-site). Do I have to buy another 800 PVU's or may I use more than one TSM server for the same node's as long as the nodes are correctly licensed?

PREDATAR Control23

Short answer, yes. You need to count all core instances - whether server or client - to get the PVU and multiply with the cost per PVU to get the total cost.

If you have another instance, you to buy another license for it.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

1) yes, you need license for TSM server
2) no, you do not need licenses twice when you use 2 TSM servers - just add PVUs for the second TSM server

TSM licensing does not differentiate between client and server - so when you buy licenses for 10machines (equivalent in PVUs)m you can install server and client on each one and cross backup them :)

Harry

UPDATE

to reflect Raakin's comment below - difference in client and server does not exists in PVU licensing model only - you can still use Client license for end user workstations

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

I'm sorry but when did IBM change the licensing (again) to reflect even workstations (aka clients) have to be held to the PVUs? I still see 'Client Devices' D51MKLL as an option for workstations. Am I missing something here?

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

TSM client license still exists, but it is used for workstations (let's say Windows XP, Vista - end user machines) ONLY. Client device must not share any resources - if it does then it is counted as server and has to use PVU licensing model.

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

Whew... I started to get a really big headache thinking about integrating our workstations into the PVU model.

Thank you for clarifying.

PREDATAR Control23

1) yes, you need license for TSM server
2) no, you do not need licenses twice when you use 2 TSM servers - just add PVUs for the second TSM server

TSM licensing does not differentiate between client and server - so when you buy licenses for 10machines (equivalent in PVUs)m you can install server and client on each one and cross backup them :)
[...]
to reflect Raakin's comment below - difference in client and server does not exists in PVU licensing model only - you can still use Client license for end user workstations

OK, we have three situations:
* (TSM) server instance, not using the BA client at all. Lets name this: "TSM server"

* (TSM) client, meaning OS instance, using BA client to backup to a TSM server, not being an end user workstation. Lets name this: "TSM server node" (PVU license)

* Client license for end user workstation, using BA client to backup to a TSM server. Lets name this: "TSM client node" (client license)

Suppose I do not backup de TSM server to any other TSM server (and not to itself). Do I still need to buy PVU's for this server? If yes, why? It's not a big problem because in most shops the PVU count for the TSM server will be small compared to the TSM server nodes and/or TSM client node'.

However, I cannot find any reference to the TSM server itself -if not using any BA client functionality- in any PVU calculation examples?!

In a certain way it would make sense. You license the use of a service (ba client on TSM server nodes or TSM client nodes, transporting the data to the TSM server. The server itself only creates the possibility for charging PVU's and TSM client licenses).

PREDATAR Control23

If you are running TSM server, you need PVUs for it since it is running a TSM instance EVEN IF you don't backup the TSM server itself. In the past, the main TSM server has a different license than the clients. IBM consolidated all via the PVU concept - whether it is a Server or a Client (node).

PREDATAR Control23

We were a couple of years ago bought a license. As is well known active license year.
1. If now we're going to license our duty to cover all server licenses, even those that have previously purchased a license?
2. Can we buy a license only for those servers to TSM has been installed in the last year? Ie take a small amount in order to obtain support and ability to download new versions.