TSM 5.5 VMware Consolidated Backup Integration

tsmfreak

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
The new TSM command (dsmc backup vm) will launch file level VCB backups :

automatically performs snapshot management of the virtual machine etc

My question : is this mechanism (automatically snapshot) also possible for the fullvm backup without the vcbmounter ?
And can the backup image be directed to the TSM server directly (with a corresponding MC to a disk stg pool) without being staged on the VCB proxy server and afterwards backuped with an incremental ?

Hi TSM Freak and all interested in the questions below,

I am going to try to answer the questions below & would recommend you check out the following post for more details:
Tivoli Storage Manager TSM guide to securing VMware

is this mechanism (automatically snapshot) also possible for the fullvm backup without the vcbmounter ? No its not. As the TSM module is nothing but an integration module with VCB. It will not work without VCB.

And can the backup image be directed to the TSM server directly (with a corresponding MC to a disk stg pool) without being staged on the VCB proxy server and afterwards backuped with an incremental ? Not possible at the moment, I am not sure if will be in the future. Though please note that TSM will delete the image after the backup is complete, so you will only have to have enough space on there to back up your largest VM at a time.

I hope this help.
Erick
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru

Back