TSM 5.5 and old web gui

hi,
just to witness that right now i've been forced to install bloody ISC on a fresh tsm 5.5 installation on a Linux box.
After all you have plenty of time to swear between an instruction you set on the ISC and the following output result ... is it really so slow ?

cheers
max

P.S.: should anyone succeed in modifying idl files in a sound way, please share

Send me the dsmserv.idl for Windows

Can someone send me the modified windows.idl file for 5.5. I have two backup admins that would have a heart attack AGAIN if they have to use the ISC when we go to 5.5.0

Thanks in advance.

Just install ADSM 2.1 and your C64 will backup fine if you remember to press play on tape...

Load "*",8,1 <return>

:)

I just use the command line and ISC to do the things it is good for - create a node, cut and paste a script, eat up system resources, simulate a virus, etc.

Tsm Gui

Just remember the TSM GUI stopped being updated back at TSM 5.2. This means you cannot do many things that have appeared since then. For example define a devclass with 3592-2 format (3592-E05 native format). You can often see New stuff because all the GUI did was automate the Command line query and make the output prettier.

I bit the bullet this year and we have Servergraph and the ISC.

Servergraph is faster and far more intuitive than the ISC.

I'm pretty sure the guy who designed the ISC interface was the same guy who invented reverse polish notation in calculators. Its a bit of a pig to get used too but it can do stuff reasonably well.

Just make sure you have at least a TB of RAM in your laptop if you want to run the ISC concurrently with Lotus Sametime and MS Outlook (all 3 are Java Hogs) and the 27 different virus checkers, disk encryption engines, and corporate spyware packages we seem condemned to suffer now.

I take that back.

Bring back the GUI ALL is forgiven.

The ISC is a heap of junk when attempting to build multiple servers.

In fact I'll even take back the "when attempting to build multiple servers" part of the accusation.

I used to be able to build a TSM instance on a pre set up server in about an hour. and edit all the scripts in a day. Now I'm lucky if I can even get the ISC screen to refresh in the hour. The GUI was so useful Cutting and pasting between browser windows. Now its D/L into the command line client in macro fornmat. Cut and Paste it to notepad, edit it, then cut and paste it back to the command line.

The ISC gives me a 3"x2" window to edit scripts on a 22" Screen and half the time I have a browser scroll bar and an ISC scroll bar off the side of the screen. The joys of a multi display PC.

I rememeber when I were a Lad.

old web on windows v5.5

I had this problem and was able to rebuild the idl defs using the aix.idl file on the windows machine.

rename aix.idl to dsmserv.idl

dsmserv runfile dsmserv.idl

It seems to have worked but I have no idea what might be missing or broken with it.

It would seem a lot safer to use windows.idl instead of aix.idl, even if you have to download Harry's version (see above) or, God forbid, follow the instructions and remove certain section from it manually, yourself (as per see above).

Harry roolz!:up::D

Sorry, I missed the "whole" thread and didn't see that actual resolution. Use the "harry" method if you're not comfortable. I tried to modifiy it myself but missed all the DISK references before I tried the AIX.idl on hunch. (I had just successfully done the same on a TSM on AIX with no problem on TSM 5.5.

I'd be wary of ANY use of this thing: AIX or edited version -- whatever! I'm not so sure why anyone would comfortable with either method. I've got clients that refuse to use ISC so I have no choice but to keep this "JUNK" working.

Back