TSM 5.4 and VCB?

carlisr

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Does TSM 5.4 support VCB? We're in the middle of a VMware project and I really don't want to spend the time to upgrade to 5.5 if I don't need to. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

No, VCB support is added in TSM 5.5

Technical changes for Version 5.5 - November 2007
VMware Consolidated Backup
VMware Consolidated Backup allows you to back up multiple virtual machines to be offloaded to a dedicated physical host. VMware Consolidated Backup also allows backups in a LAN-free environment.

Regards. Wim.

TSM Server 5.4 can be used for VCB backups but it is not fully integrated as 5.5 is. To use it with 5.4 there are a set of scripts that have to be used to get the data to the proxy to be able to back it up.

I've spoken to a few people about this, and I haven't yet found anyone that would recommend VCB with 5.4 though....

You can backup using TSM 5.4

I would like to disagree with the above answers. You can still keep VMware TSM 5.4 server & get all the benefits of TSM 5.5 or TSM 6.0 clients as the VCB integration in TSM is a part of the client not the server. You just have to use a newer client even if you don't upgrade the server. For more details and full instruction check out the following post & check the second link in it.

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager integration with VMWare ESX VMware Consilidated Backup.

I hope that help,
Erick
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru

Back