TSM 5.4 and VCB?

carlisr

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Does TSM 5.4 support VCB? We're in the middle of a VMware project and I really don't want to spend the time to upgrade to 5.5 if I don't need to. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PREDATAR Control23

No, VCB support is added in TSM 5.5

Technical changes for Version 5.5 - November 2007
VMware Consolidated Backup
VMware Consolidated Backup allows you to back up multiple virtual machines to be offloaded to a dedicated physical host. VMware Consolidated Backup also allows backups in a LAN-free environment.

Regards. Wim.

PREDATAR Control23

TSM Server 5.4 can be used for VCB backups but it is not fully integrated as 5.5 is. To use it with 5.4 there are a set of scripts that have to be used to get the data to the proxy to be able to back it up.

I've spoken to a few people about this, and I haven't yet found anyone that would recommend VCB with 5.4 though....

PREDATAR Control23

You can backup using TSM 5.4

I would like to disagree with the above answers. You can still keep VMware TSM 5.4 server & get all the benefits of TSM 5.5 or TSM 6.0 clients as the VCB integration in TSM is a part of the client not the server. You just have to use a newer client even if you don't upgrade the server. For more details and full instruction check out the following post & check the second link in it.

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager integration with VMWare ESX VMware Consilidated Backup.

I hope that help,
Erick
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru