• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

TSM 5.4 and VCB?

carlisr

ADSM.ORG Member
Does TSM 5.4 support VCB? We're in the middle of a VMware project and I really don't want to spend the time to upgrade to 5.5 if I don't need to. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

wim

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
No, VCB support is added in TSM 5.5

Technical changes for Version 5.5 - November 2007
VMware Consolidated Backup
VMware Consolidated Backup allows you to back up multiple virtual machines to be offloaded to a dedicated physical host. VMware Consolidated Backup also allows backups in a LAN-free environment.

Regards. Wim.

Leigh

ADSM.ORG Member
TSM Server 5.4 can be used for VCB backups but it is not fully integrated as 5.5 is. To use it with 5.4 there are a set of scripts that have to be used to get the data to the proxy to be able to back it up.

I've spoken to a few people about this, and I haven't yet found anyone that would recommend VCB with 5.4 though....

msright1981

ADSM.ORG Member
You can backup using TSM 5.4

I would like to disagree with the above answers. You can still keep VMware TSM 5.4 server & get all the benefits of TSM 5.5 or TSM 6.0 clients as the VCB integration in TSM is a part of the client not the server. You just have to use a newer client even if you don't upgrade the server. For more details and full instruction check out the following post & check the second link in it.

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager integration with VMWare ESX VMware Consilidated Backup.

I hope that help,
Erick
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Guru

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agent0810