TSM 5.3 Web Admin Interface

mbotticelli

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that with TSM 5.3 that the web admin interface is no longer available/supported and has been replaced with some admin console that you have to install on your desktop? I hope this is just a rumor

MRB

To all,

I found what I was looking for. It is in the TSM for AIX 5.3 Installation Guide . - GC32-1597-00

Read in chapter 2, the first paragraph. It states:

"The administrative Web interface is being replaced in this release with the Adminstration Center. The Administration Center is a Web-based interface that can be used to centrally configure and manage Tivoli Storage Manager Version 5.3 servers. The Administration Center can only be used to administer Version 5.3 or later servers. The old administrative Web interface cannot be used with Version 5.3 or later servers.

The Adminisration Center is installed as an IBM Integrateted Solutions Console (ISC) compnent. The Integrated Solutions Console allows you to install components provided by multiple IBM applications, and access them from a single interface.

Version 5.0.2 of the Integrated Solutions Console is required to use the Administration Center. This version of the Integrated Soluctions Console is to be instlled prior to installing the Administration Center. If an earlier version of the Integrated Solutions Console is already installed, you will have the option of upgrading to Version 5.0.2"

I and my adminstrators use the current web admin extensively as it is easy and clean to use and I can get to it from anywhere on my network and also from home through my vpn connection. This replacement sounds like a major installation of software and possibly may require me to upgrade my TSM server to add more memory or disk space to run this?

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience with this new Admin Center?

Thanks,

MRB

:confused:

Well , with my limited experience, it seems like a bunch of un-needed overhead if you do not run other tivoli products. Intalled I think both packages take about 500mb. ( I believe )

Anyway, I prefer the old interface personally.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

... and has been replaced with some admin console that you have to install on your desktop?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have to install anything on your desktop. The ISC is a piece of software which runs on a box and allows you to administrate multiple TSM servers via a webinterface.

just what I know about the new thing

tomP

I just thought I would add my 2 cents worth in here. I understand where they are coming from with the new interface, however not all shops have multiple TSM servers. Yet without multiple TSM Servers you can have a significant investment in TSM and associated equipment.

Am I to believe that IBM is dropping all customers that do not use multiple TSM Servers? Am I to believe the only way to carry on with the TSM Product is to have great big honking servers?

Is this good bye TSM hello some other product?

I really think they need to add the interface from a browser back in or at least allow the option to chose which interface you want to use. Change does not bother me, however I seriously doubt I have a machine that I can run the new interface on and have it responsive.

Come IBM/TIVOLI, what were you thinking?

We are installing it now. Integrated Solutions Console, ISC, I would rather call it POS. In all fairness, it does let you centrally manage TSM instances. It's panels allow device and path'ing to be put under a cover and done in (almost) one operation, for example. Copygroup value documentation is updated and better explained. But then we're moving from one to five instances (across two new physical systems). I wanted 5.3 for the collocation by group, among other things. I'm not (NOT!) a fan of the ISC. It is about as intuitive as a rock and people who like the web interface will not be very happy IMO. I've found myself struggling through an effort, and then cloning the commands out of the actlog and scripting them. And what good is centralized management if the ISC does not accept variables? So everything on every server must match (consider FILE devclass and DIR value here) or get overwritten. It's not ready for prime time. My $.02 anyway.

The ISC is a pig of a program. 2hrs to install? What's that? Its also somewhat awkward to use and has forced me to go command-line for everything. I see the effort for management centralization but this console is slow and not very intuitive. I really think Tivoli should have left the browser admin in there as an option.

Im upgrading to 5.3 next week. Lucky for me im strictly a CL admin.

I run about 4 different types of terminals for TSM as well on dual 15inch flat panel monitors:

Its all very slick.

I have tried to use the Web Admin numerous times, I just cant click as fast as I can type, and with SQL and script stuff, it just isnt as versatile for me.

Even though I donot use the Webadmin , my boss uses it almost exclusively, so either way Im going to have to install the ISC for him.

According to the documentation Im reading, it looks like the ISC can be installed on Windows. Has anyone done this yet? it says it supports Win2k. I would like to know where I can get a download of this.

Answers appreciated!

I have been evaluating this version of TSM. I have the server running on W2k3 on blade in a BladeCenter, with the ISC on my laptop, which is running Windows XP Pro. The ISC seems to work fine on the laptop.

But, I have to say I don't really care to much for it. There are a number of problems with it.

I usually use a combination of the Web admin, and CLI. It depends on what I am doing. But, I prefer the old Web admin.

BMC,

Just got done intalling both the ISC(install the ISC first, then the Admin Center) and the Admin Center for 5.3. It is more vertical...top down and they have moved some of the functions around, so in comparison not as good as the old brower GUI, in my opinion. So, I would install the Admin Command Line from the client CD. Also, with multiple Windows servers, you only have to install the ISC on one of them and then define the other TSM servers as you convert to 5.3.

Of course, I have TSM Manager, so I'm kinda spoiled and it works well with TSM 5.3. I can manage multiple servers with it, do all the things that are done on a TSM server as farr as Admin type stuff, all from one central location. 30 day free trial at http:\\www.tsmmanager.com

Roy

I use the command line client for some admin activities and the web gui for others. I just upgraded my production TSM servers yesterday. I'm very disappointed with how cumbersome and slow the iSC is in comparison to the old web gui admin. Does it have any additional features to make it worth using? Or should I look at 3rd party options for administering the TSM systems, like TSMManager? I have it installed on my laptop as well as on the TSM servers and it is not faster in either location. Why on earth would IBM have done this to the gui adminstration feature?

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>The ISC is a pig of a program. 2hrs to install? What's that? Its also somewhat awkward to use and has forced me to go command-line for everything. I see the effort for management centralization but this console is slow and not very intuitive. I really think Tivoli should have left the browser admin in there as an option. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

:rolleyes:

Hi. Upgraded my tsm "lab and demo" installation on my thinkpad from 5.2.x to 5.3.0 on w2kp. Afterw i installed ISC + admin center and now i use cli + old web gui. I also can startt ISC and do demos on the new gui (although not using it myself, or recom. old customers to use it at lest not until it contains all the old stuff (spec drm)).

Since it works to use both ISC/AC and the old webgui i would like to find out if its just not supported (ie not tested) or if it "not possible"... :rolleyes:

Hallo.

Can You tell me please how can I install this ISC? I have TSM 5.3 on aix.

Thanks!

Hi. Get the software for ISC and Admin center and install ISC then Admin center. These softwares contains what you need (at least on win2k platform. Can you run the ISC on a winplatform since it allocates resources ...? You use the ISC+AdminC installation towards all your tsmservers runnning 5.3.

I had to download directly from the IBM passport site. Not sure if it's available to general public.

Joe

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hallo.

Can You tell me please how can I install this ISC? I have TSM 5.3 on aix.

Thanks!</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I pretty much won't use it in its current release. I will endup doing everything command line. I also plan to look at the 3rd party solutions.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I use the command line client for some admin activities and the web gui for others. I just upgraded my production TSM servers yesterday. I'm very disappointed with how cumbersome and slow the iSC is in comparison to the old web gui admin. Does it have any additional features to make it worth using? Or should I look at 3rd party options for administering the TSM systems, like TSMManager? I have it installed on my laptop as well as on the TSM servers and it is not faster in either location. Why on earth would IBM have done this to the gui adminstration feature?

>>The ISC is a pig of a program. 2hrs to install? What's that? Its also somewhat awkward to use and has forced me to go command-line for everything. I see the effort for management centralization but this console is slow and not very intuitive. I really think Tivoli should have left the browser admin in there as an option. &lt;&lt;

:rolleyes: </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I am disappointed about the Web GUI disappearing in 5.3. This just put any TSM upgrade we have on the back burner for a while. We’ll happily upgrade to the latest 5.2.X release but when it comes to 5.3, we’ll be in a tough position. I like IBM products but every so often they just seem to do something that is so ridiculous, like changing the interface without a decent migration path. They should support both interfaces for a version or two. Not only that, you know that as soon as you get used to this interface, they’re likely to change it again!

:evil:

Drew

Most not chuffed....!

My server build script automates the build proccess for me and includes house keeping scripts along with some basic query scripts....

Now it's probably just me not looking in the right place but I can't seam to find then anywhere...

I know the're there I can run them from the command line (doesn't help the non TSM knowing client) but where are they on the GUI?????

Things like this are what damages TSM's rep... :cry:

Back