1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSM 5.2.2 & 6.1 Server Instances, one physical server

Discussion in 'TSM Server' started by elpookie, Jun 30, 2009.

1. elpookie

elpookie New Member

Is it possible two install two instances of TSM Server, version 5.2.2.0 and 6.1 on the same physical box. The reason for this is that I would like to start using 6.1 without bringing down 5.2.2.0 while upgrading. Starting with a fresh install would be better for me.

Pardon me as I was thrown in to the wolves to be the TSM admin with out any experience and we need to upgrade ASAP since we're out of support.

Thanks for the help.

3. Eldoraan

Eldoraan Senior Member

Data Protection
    I've had hosts configured with two or three different maint/patch versions at once. But they were all based in same version/release (ie: 5.3.2.0, 5.3.3.3, 5.3.4.0). Each one had to run as it's own user ID - not root, so that introduced a lot of issues. With the changes in 6.1, I really would be surprised if you could get it running on a box with older 5.x version without major adverse interactions.

4. THE_WIPET

THE_WIPET Senior Member

UPgrade your server to 5.5.3.X instead of going to 6.1... 5.5.x.x and 5.4.X.X are still suported version..

Upgrading from 5.2.2.0 to 5.5.3.X can be done on the same box and as been done millions of time from other user... Personally I would go with the upgrade path to 5.5 you will be able to have IBM support.. and you can take time to learn TSM before jumping to 6.1.

5. elpookie

elpookie New Member

Cool, I'm going to upgrade to 5.5 then. I am downloading now. I will see how it goes. It appears to be the safest bet right now. Thanks and I will keep the thread updated with my progress.

6. THE_WIPET

THE_WIPET Senior Member

Be sure to read the info and the step to upgrade.. and before upgrading backup you TSM database.

7. cjhood

cjhood Moderator

Storage Administrator - TSM/SAN