TSM 5.1 AIX with Overland Neo 2000 library

dmcnight

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We are evaluating TSM 5.1 using an AIX 4.3.3 server as the TSM server. Currently we have the Overland Library defined as "lb0" and the two DLT drives in the library defined as rmt1 and rmt2. We use smitty to define the Tivoli Storage manager devices as SCSI devices and we receive the message of Method error (/etc/methods/cfgadsmdd):

0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical

device at the specified connection location. We have checked the addressing correctly but smit will not create the mt1 and mt2 devices for TSM. The actual AIX command is mkdev -c adsmtape -t 'ADSM-SCSI-MT' -s 'scsi' -p 'scsi7' -w '1,0' for rmt1->mt1.

I talked to IBM AIX support and they thought possibly the rmt1 and rmt2 devices would work with TSM 5.1 for the Overland changer. However, wished we could talk to a TSM expert ;-(

When trying to do a full Unix backup in TSM we get ANR0535W message of "insufficient mount points available to satisfy request". Also we are not sure if we have the "element address" defined corrected for the Overland, using a value of 480/481.

We are trying to negotiate support with our IBM business partner that provided the TSM 5.1 software, however very slow to respond, my evaluation will run out mid January 2003. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dmcnight

:confused:

Let me preface by saying I haven't used those drives or library before. I have used several different 8mm libraries and 3590/3494 libraries. In my experence, the kind of errors you are seeing almost always come down to an old version of ATape driver. Try updating the ATape driver and then redefine the drives within smitty.

Latest ATape is at: fttp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/AIX/

Hope this helps, just my 2 cents.

-Aaron

After installing TSM 5.1.5.0 for AIX server and the 5.1.5.4 patchset, the problems with defining the TSM tape drives was corrected for the Overland Neo 2000 automated library. :)

Back