TS4500 Firmware 1.8.0.1-C00.00 faulty?

Sunhillow

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

On tuesday I upgraded two TS4500 from 1.7.0.3-A00.00 to 1.8.0.1-C00.00. Soon after the upgrade one of began throwing error 3440: "A 12V DC power supply had intermittent power drops during the last 24 hours" every 30 ... 60 minutes and now the second one does the same.

They are on different sites, more than 100 kilometers apart as the crow flies and all other devices in the same rooms do not have any power faults. I think a correlation with the upgrade is very likely.

So ... I would ask if anyone also has had these errors? And I already asked IBM if it is possible to downgrade the library code.

PREDATAR Control23

I can't speak to that as I'm on TS4500_1413-I00 for my L/D53 frame's. I will say, when I went from my old FW to my current FW, I also updated all my LTO6 drives FW at that time and had a heck of a time with drive errors, library errors, whole host of other issues.

Ended up going to product development at the time (great team by the way). The whole process did take some time to narrow down everything, but ended up swapping out the gripper and both MCP's.

What prompted the update to latest? I just checked IBM' site and shows 1.7.0.4 as recommended. I'm a little nervous about going up myself from current state as the unit has been stable and happy. I know with the end of service coming up I am planning on going to latest while under support.

PREDATAR Control23

Recently I got a mail from IBM that recommended either 1.7.0.5 or 1.8.0.1. So probably I was too courageous taking the latter.
The recommended drive code is still up to date btw.

Edit: the technician confirmed that the hardware is in a good state. He suspects a firmware fault.

PREDATAR Control23

Totally understand. I keep finding myself in a bind. Do I take the latest firmware, or the recommended firmware? Do I stay where I'm at because I'm not experiencing issues identified or have any need for the new features. Sometimes just a tough choice!

I did see in the latest firmware notes:
- New event 0707 for power supply state change

Any ops to go physically eyeball the power supplies?

PREDATAR Control23

The technician had an eye on the machine. He forwarded the problem to development, so there will hopefully soon be an update

PREDATAR Control23

If you don't mind, I'd like to know the result. As I said above, with the end of support coming up, want/need to get on latest FW before then just in case of events like this.

I wish you luck!

PREDATAR Control23

The new firmware with more sensitive power tracking seems to actively search for power supplies which cause LCC resets due to voltage drops. Not too bad, but it should not send > 30 error mails per day!

PREDATAR Control23

What in the world? The control card resetting due to voltage drops? That's crazy. Hopefully a new FW is released to address that. With each D frame attached having a LCC, and automatic failover between the LCC's that...ugh I don't even want to think of potential issues.

I hope you get that resolved and again would love to hear the updates of any new FW you take before I make the jump for my L/D53's!

PREDATAR Control23

The ticket says ich can lead to LCC resets. We have LCC failover warnings every 1-3 weeks in 4 libraries. So I think the voltage detection is a bit too strict!
Nevertheless I will not update the other libraries too soon!

PREDATAR Control23

Can and may are my favorite words! Had a HACMP cluster that may fail over without warning every 3 months to a year depending on load. Was a fun apar to track down!

Well, hoping you have luck going forward with the other units!

PREDATAR Control23

Today (friday) two of the four power supplies of one library were replaced. Now one of the old ones generates an error every 30 minutes. Better than before. I guess it will also be replaced. Or the firmware will be updated to a less hysterical checking.
I wonder why my company is always the single one having problems with firmware updates. Not only IBM but also EMC/Infineon/Dell, Cisco, Harmonic ... 🤪 Maybe we do them too frequently.

Can and may are my favorite words!
In German this word is "eventuell". The most used word in IT

PREDATAR Control23

I wonder why my company is always the single one having problems with firmware updates. Not only IBM but also EMC/Infineon/Dell, Cisco, Harmonic ... 🤪 Maybe we do them too frequently.

In German this word is "eventuell". The most used word in IT
First I love the word eventuell. I think I may have to start using that here in the USA!

And yeah...Firmware. UGH! Double edge sword. Stick with what is known, or venture into the unknown. How do you chose? When there's no formal policy and procedure there of, it gets tricky. Sometimes the decision to upgrade FW is done by if its vendor recommended to address an issue, or to even get support). Other times, it sits and sits, and sits.

PREDATAR Control23

So looking at taking the plunge myself to get the FW to 1.8 as well. Hopefully tomorrow once I review everything. Let's see what happens.

PREDATAR Control23

First I love the word eventuell. I think I may have to start using that here in the USA!
😂

So looking at taking the plunge myself to get the FW to 1.8 as well. Hopefully tomorrow once I review everything. Let's see what happens.
For my other two libraries I will either leave them at 1.7.0.3 or try 1.7.0.5 first and have a close look at the changelist for 1.8.0.2.
I wish you much luck and eventuell there will be no errors ...

PREDATAR Control23

Today I got the information that firmware levels 1.8.x ore only for machines with the SKLM feature enabled. All other should be updated to 1.7.0.5!

PREDATAR Control23

Today I got the information that firmware levels 1.8.x ore only for machines with the SKLM feature enabled. All other should be updated to 1.7.0.5!
DOH! I just took a quick look at the readme for 1.8.0.1-C00. Only think it was talking about SKLM was the TLS support.

Still haven't updated any of my units yet. May just sit right where I am at!