1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

TS3310 connection issues

Discussion in 'Tape / Media Library' started by Poohmanchoo, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poohmanchoo

    Poohmanchoo New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2011
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    Occupation:
    TSM Administrator/ Avamar and Networker Admin.
    Location:
    New York
    I hope someone can help me with this because I have been banging my head against the desk for the past couple of hours and can't figure it out.

    I was turning my old server back on and connecting everything to get backups back up and running, after a failed upgrade attempt to a new server, as I have done once in the past few weeks with no issues, and low and behold the library driver failed to load on startup. I used the wizard that popped up and it appeared to load the driver without issue.
    I was attempting to perform some replication after restarting the old server and noticed that the drives were not loading tapes. I did the usual
    q drive
    q library
    etc......and everything appeared to be fine, up, online, and defined. After further investigation I noticed that the TSM name was not as it was supposed to be lb2.1.0.2 vs lb1.1.0.2, mt2.0.0.2 vs mt1.0.0.2, mt3.0.0.2 vs mt2.0.0.2, etc...

    mt2.0.0.2 2 0 0 2 F09E8ED000 500308C09E8ED001 LTO IBM ULT3580-TD4 A239
    lb2.1.0.2 2 1 0 2 000001313693_LLA 500308C09E8ED001 LIBRARY IBM 3576-MTL 587G
    mt3.0.0.2 3 0 0 2 F09E8ED090 500308C09E8ED091 LTO IBM ULT3580-TD4 A239
    mt2.0.0.3 2 0 0 3 F09E8ED004 500308C09E8ED005 LTO IBM ULT3580-TD4 A239

    At this point I figured I needed to delete and redefine the library and drives.
    Simple process 1,2,3, right! Apparently not on my watch.
    I am learning as I go, more or less, with this system but the following is what I did and the results are the reasons why I am writing this now.

    First I deleted the library and drives. No Problem there.
    I then attempted to redefine the library (first error)

    tsm: LSTIVOLI>define path LSTIVOLI TS3310 srctype=server desttype=library device=lb1.1.0.2
    ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing library TS3310.
    ANS8001I Return code 15.

    discovered work around for that while reading other forums

    tsm: LSTIVOLI>define path LSTIVOLI TS3310 srctype=server desttype=library device=lb1.1.0.2 online=no
    ANR1720I A path from LSTIVOLI to TS3310 has been defined.

    tsm: LSTIVOLI>upd path LSTIVOLI TS3310 srctype=server desttype=library online=yes
    ANR1722I A path from LSTIVOLI to TS3310 has been updated.

    At this point I thought I was in the clear due to my results from Q path

    tsm: LSTIVOLI>q path

    Source Name Source Type Destination Destination On-Line
    Name Type
    ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- -------
    LSTIVOLI SERVER TS3310 LIBRARY Yes

    Success..........Then this happened at the next step

    tsm: LSTIVOLI>define drive TS3310 LTO4-1
    ANR8444E DEFINE DRIVE: Library TS3310 is currently unavailable.
    ANS8001I Return code 14.

    And now I have no idea where to go next. I have exhausted what little know-how I have and everything else (the documentation out there) make it out to be just 1,2,3, and you're done.

    If anybody has any ideas, I am willing to give them a shot.

    Details of server and Library are as follows;
    Windows 2003 x64 Server
    TSM 5.5.3
    Total Storage 3576 modular tape library, with 2 extension units,
    with 3 drives.
    Updated driver for tape library to 6.2.1.7, even though it was showing the correct revision, after the issues started.

    FYI. Everything worked a week ago without a single issue and multiple restarts for well over a year.
     
  2.  
  3. Harry_Redl

    Harry_Redl Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2003
    Messages:
    2,264
    Likes Received:
    135
    Occupation:
    IT Consultant
    Location:
    Czech Republic
    Hello,

    it seems your library is at
    Code:
    lb2.1.0.2 2 1 0 2 000001313693_LLA 500308C09E8ED001 LIBRARY IBM 3576-MTL 587G
    
    and you are trying to define the path
    Code:
    device=lb1.1.0.2
    
    Can this be the problem? show us the output from "tsmdlst.exe" (Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\console)

    Harry
     
    Poohmanchoo likes this.
  4. Poohmanchoo

    Poohmanchoo New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2011
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    Occupation:
    TSM Administrator/ Avamar and Networker Admin.
    Location:
    New York
    Thanks Harry, you hit the nail on the head.
    I thought the paths always had to be defined the same as they were, that was the mis-information that I had received from the old TSM admin.
    I see now that the output of the tsmdlst file is what needs to be used to define the new paths.
    Everything worked instantaneously when this was corrected.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page