Tivoli Storage Manager server does not start !!!

abidjan

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

We have been unable to connect to our TSM Server since yesterday after updating the server BIOS (HP Proliant DL 380 G6).
tsmerror.jpg

We have tried to manually start the database service and the tsm service, but they both stopped after a few minutes.

So we have decided to restore the db with the latest available backup using the following command

"dsmserv -k NSIABKP restore db"

We are now able to start the database service when type "db2start", but the service stop everytime we start the TSM Service. (dsmsvc.exe -k NSIABKP)

You will find the dsmserv and db2diag log below:
http://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2016/03_w12/1086713/db2diag.txt
http://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2016/03_w12/1086717/dsmerv_output.txt

Please help us, this is an emergency.

PREDATAR Control23

I don't like clicking links of an unknown source, so I won't look at your outputs.

First, it's possible you did not need to restore the DB. Should have figured out first why it did not start, then determine if it can be fixed or if a restore is required. But anyway, you did the restore and now you possibly have a different problem.

Can you copy/paste the output you see when starting the TSM Server in the foreground? Make sure you are logged in to Windows with the user account that owns the TSM instance when you do.

PREDATAR Control23

hello,

here is the output when loggin to tsm

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmadmc
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 6, Release 4, Level 0.0
(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2012. All Rights Reserved.

Enter your user id: admin1

ANS1017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure
ANS8023E Unable to establish session with server.

ANS8002I Highest return code was -50.

PREDATAR Control23

That's the admin command line, it's normal for that fo fail with a connection error if the server is down.

What happens when you login to the Windows as the instance owner, and try to start the server in the foreground:
upload_2016-3-17_12-47-57.png

PREDATAR Control23

Hello please find below the output of dsmserv -k INSTANCE

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\server>dsmserv -k NSIABKP
ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 20:16:18 on Nov 11 2013.

Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows

Version 7, Release 1, Level 0.000

Licensed Materials - Property of IBM

(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 2013.
All rights reserved.
U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.

ANR0900I Processing options file E:\NSIABKP\dsmserv.opt.
ANR4726I The ICC support module has been loaded.
ANR0990I Server restart-recovery in progress.
ANR0171I dbiconn.c(1826): Error detected on 0:1, database in evaluation mode.
ANR0162W Supplemental database diagnostic information: -1:08001:-30082 ([IBM][CLI Driver] SQL30082N The security processing failed with reason
"17" ("UNSUPPORTED FUNCTION"). SQLSTATE=08001
).
ANR1820E The server could not connect to the database manager by using TCP/IP port 51500.

PREDATAR Control23

I've encountered a similar situation about a month ago in which I had to reinstall the AIX OS from scratch, TSM server and then restore the previous DB to it and the "Database in evaluation mode" message showed up.
After trying many suggestions including opening a ticket with IBM and consulting with both their TSM and DB2 support without success I've decided to retry the whole installation and restore process and it worked then.
So my suggestion to you is to retry the process and follow every preparation and requirement prior to the actual restore and make sure you follow the IBM guide on restoring the TSM db STEP BY-STEP.

Good luck!