• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brian

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Greetings All,

I apologize if this thread is a duplicate of a previous one (I searched adsm.org and did not find any similar thread).

Is it just me or is the market for IBM TSM dramatically shrinking due to conversion from TSM to another back-up solution?

TSM is still use by a large number of companies. It's shrinking in use is hard to determine, but there are more non-traditional styles of backup available now but at the same time data growth is out of control so.... I'm not worried about job security that much. It's always smart to learn multiple fields. I'm focusing on Deduplication and Data Domains.

This may be in part due to the demand for backup solutions for virtual environments. Over the past year I have been looking at solutions from TSM, EMC Avamar, NetBackup, and CommVault specifically for VMware backups. All of them have their pluses and minuses largely dependent on the size and architecture of the virtual environment. To be honest, I found TSM for Virtual Environments to be one of the more difficult ones to setup and manage, in part because of how our VMware environment was designed, but also in part due to the nature of the product. It feels like TSM was late to the game in the VM backup space and to some degree is playing catch up with the competition. There are other vendors pushing appliance based backup solutions that seem to be gaining popularity too.

We have a goal of moving 80%+ of our servers to virtual machines by the end of 2016. We had about 12,000 clients in TSM when I started this project, and I have moved 2,000 of them to Avamar in the past couple months. TSM will be relegated to backing up the ever shrinking AIX and Solaris clients until those applications are virtualized and moved to Linux or Windows.

-Rowl

I don't think you can say that TSM4VE was late to the game. If so, that was years ago.
If you would have made the statement that this product was cumbersome a couple of years ago, I would agree with you, but the developers have gone a long way of improving this thing.

Back