The intimate guts of tapeutil

cesiumgirl

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The intimate guts of tapeutil

I’m working on a automatic tape checkin/checkout script for an LTO library. I’m also relying heavily on tapeutil to make this script work. I’m running into the following error “Open failed: Resource temporarily unavailable”. I’m theorizing that something is using tapeutil and there is a reset period needed before you can run another tapeutil command. Does anyone have any documentation on how tape util works (I’m looking for more then just the man page type doc)…or if know of anything that conflicts with Tapeutil in TSM…or basically anything that would cause the open failed error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------

"Be technically correct, but socially impossible"

It may not be an issue with your script. Are you calling for a tape device that may be unavailable do to a tape still mounted in the tape drive?

My end goal is to figure out what's in my I/O Door. So I'm running tapeutil -f[your favorite device name here] inventory. Now I'm guessing that situations like having the I/O door open would cause the resources Tapeutil queries to be busy and situations like that are obvious (and I say that because I can't access the web gui for the LTO if someone is say putting tapes in the I/O Door). But this error happens every so often when my LTO is neither in input or export mode. What else would tie up the resources tapeutil needs and what are these resources?

Thanks,

C

----------------------------------

"Be technically correct, but socially impossible"

Back