1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Testing tapes in AIX

Discussion in 'Tape / Media Library' started by micha, Oct 1, 2009.

1. micha

micha New Member

DBA
    Hi,

I need to test some tapes witha dedicated FC drive attached to an AIX system. Are there any good tools for AIX that are able to do read/write tests and tell be which tapes are ok and which are not?

Thanks,
    Micha

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    I haven't come across any native AIX tools for this. There maybe some third party tools.

I believe it would be more cost effective if you had tapes tested by an independent company specializing in this type of work as tools are available to them.

4. mikeymac

mikeymac Moderator

If you have atape installed, you can use 'tapeutil' to test your drive. If you don't have atape installed, you can download it for free at IBM's site (it comes bundled with tapeutil).

5. micha

micha New Member

DBA
    Thanks for your help. I now have an extra drive attached and will try tapeutil.

: aix, tapeutil