Temporary DC replace

D4V3113

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi All,

My company have 2 Data Center locations: primary and recovery
TSM is clustered (active/passive) in both locations with seperate tape library and disk array.

Now we are about to move primary location to new data center and here is the question. I want to temporary make this recovery center with TSM a primary one and back up all data there. After we move all HW to new location, I want to switch it back. Can anyone write me some steps/ideas how to do it?

The way I see it is to switch TSM instance to RDC, set all primary stg pools unavaiable, back up the data to copy pools and after we move the HW, synchronize somehow copy pools with primary pools...

Kind Regards
Dave

PREDATAR Control23

My way of doing this is - assuming that the hardware setup is the same on both DC - is to restore the DB from the Primary to the DR, move (physical move and load in the library) the tapes from Primary to DR and off I go. Of course, you should backup the DR site database and store the DR tapes properly, if you have some.

The other task to do is make sure that the nodes can see the DR site, i.e., data paths are routed properly. There is no need to re-point the nodes since the IP of the Primary site will be the same, and if the proper data routing exist.

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

My way of doing this is - assuming that the hardware setup is the same on both DC - is to restore the DB from the Primary to the DR, move (physical move and load in the library) the tapes from Primary to DR and off I go. Of course, you should backup the DR site database and store the DR tapes properly, if you have some.

The other task to do is make sure that the nodes can see the DR site, i.e., data paths are routed properly. There is no need to re-point the nodes since the IP of the Primary site will be the same, and if the proper data routing exist.

That would fix the problem only for phisical library, i didnt mention that i have also VTL with a nexan storage in both sides each. I dont need to restore the DB, because TSM is clustered and storage for TSM is mirrored using LVM on AIX.

Is there any way to make copy pools under TSM to be primary for some time and then to switch them back to copy pools after migration and synchronize?

PREDATAR Control23

That would fix the problem only for phisical library, i didnt mention that i have also VTL with a nexan storage in both sides each. I dont need to restore the DB, because TSM is clustered and storage for TSM is mirrored using LVM on AIX.

Is there any way to make copy pools under TSM to be primary for some time and then to switch them back to copy pools after migration and synchronize?

The only way I know that TSM will use the copy pools is when you embark the DR scenario - marking the online tape pools as destroyed.

If I where on your shoes, I would do what I have described above. One intention of my procedure is to make the environment available for backup.