TDPSQL 15 min backup issue

Damon_Silk

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have an issue with 15 min SQL Log backups and the TSM Scheduler that I'd like help with please.

I'm trying to set this up from scratch. I am using Legacy backups.

I have set up 5 client schedules, 4 for each 15 min log backups - on the hour, the quarter hour, half hour and 3 quarter hour. And then a separate one for the full backup.

The symptom I am seeing is the full backup seems to take about an hour and during that time, the 15 min log backup schedules become "missed'. I suspect it's to do with the fact that as the full backup is still running, the client scheduler hasn't refreshed/updated the schedule and picked up the other 15 min schedules (log backups). Is this feasible? If so, how do I fix it please :)

In the (client) log file outputs for the SQL Log backups you see no entries for the duration for the full backup, so it's not even attempting to run it at all. There's nothing in the dsmerror.log files either.

I have tested manually running the full backups and log backups at the same time and that's fine. So it's not an issue with the 2 running at the same time.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Cheers,

Damon

Hi,

We use two node_names to handle sql servers with log and full backup.

One node does log backup, and the other does full backup. The schedule just starts a cmd file for full/log respectivly. Both cmd files use the same opt file, so all backup ends up on the same storage node

With that config, the log and full does not interfere with each other.

Hi there Trident, thanks for this - sounds like a good option :). One question though, when you say you use 2 nodenames but reference the same opt file - how is this possible? i.e. the nodename goes into the optfile, so can you have multiple nodenames specified in the optfile? If not, how do you use 1 optfile but 2 nodes? Didn;t know you could do that :-(

SQL node = server_mssql (dsm.opt)
Log Sched Node = server_mssql_log (log.opt)
Full Sched Node = server_mssql_full(full.opt)

Make two tsm schedule processes using the log and full nodename and respectibe opt files.

These two schedules starts a command

Log -> sql_log.cmd
Full -> sql_full.cmd

Both these filees will use dsm.opt . You start tdpsqlc backup XXX full|log /tsmoptile=dsm.opt

There are other options here, but this is simple and straight forward.

Awesome, thanks again and thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll give that a crack today!!! Cheers :)

1 (well maybe 2 :) ) more question please. Firstly, looks like it's working well so thanks again for that.

My question is though:-

Which node should the data be stored in, in TSM now then? The "server_mssql_log" and "server_mssql_full" nodes or the original node, i.e. "server_mssql" in your example above?

Also, from a policy association perspective, should the original nodename (server_mssql in this example) still be assigned to a client schedule, or should that be removed?

Cheers,

Damon

Hi,
In my sample, all data should be stored in server_mssql, and it should not be assigned any schedules. Only nodes with schedules are the *log and *full nodes.

Back