TDPO:Unable to see daily backup in tsm as well as not able to delete any backed up data

shadab

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Dear all,
iam facing very strange issue. iam not able to see my daily rman backups in TSM:

In my environment tsm6.3.3 on windows. tdp oracle:5.4 on aix 5.3.

on my server i have one oracle database for which rman is configured .... everything was working fine.daily full rman backup rman goes to storage pool ora.stg
and using crosscheck command we keep weekly and monthly backup for more number of days.
now for some reason we need to take daily full backup to diffrent storage pool ora_dly.stg

to do that i did the following steps:
1. i didnt register any new node name for that database backup. using the old nodename only. (with backdel=yes)
2. create a new tdpo_dly.opt file.
3. in /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/dsm.sys file ... create another entry for new tdpo_dly.opt file with diffrent node name.
4. in my rman scripts using the correct the tdpo_dly.opt file.
5. daily backup start and completed successfully.
6. weekly backups also run successfully every week ...
7. daily backup retention is for 7 days.

but now my issue is iam not able to see my daily backup in tsm from select statement.
secondly and very important its not deleting any daily backedup data from tapes ..... my daily tapes never delete any back date data from tsm. its only consuming tapes.

in rman report every day no obsolete data found statement shows.

please what to do? should i need to register a new nodename with tsm same as using "/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/dsm.sys" file to see the daily backup list.

please find the files contains below:

TSM server Query node: (THE ONLY NODE register with tsm ....)
prod_ora

TDPO Files: /oracle/bin64
tdpo.opt
tdpo_dly.opt

DSM.SYS FILE API: /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/dsm.sys:

SErvername server_ora
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress 192.168.1.10
nodename prod_ora (this node name is register with tsm)
passwordaccess generate
passworddir /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin64/security
enablelanfree yes
lanfreetcpport 1500
lanfreecommmethod tcpip

SErvername server_dly
nodename prod_dly_ora (this nodename is not register with tsm)
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress 192.168.1.10
passwordaccess generate
passworddir /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin64/security_dly
enablelanfree yes
lanfreetcpport 1500
lanfreecommmethod tcpip

IN RMAN SCRIPT: (for daily backup)

run {
allocate channel t1 type 'sbt_tape' parms 'ENV=(TDPO_OPTFILE=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin64/tdpo_dly.opt)';
sql 'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';

please note: weekly and monthly data shows in tsm and will delete properly obsolete data as per retention

please reply as soon as possible. my new storage pool tapes increase day by day ... not able to delete those tapes.

Each TDPO backup is a unique object, therefore each backup is an active object, so they cannot expire automatically from TSM regardless of your retention settings in TSM. You need to expire the data from TDP/RMAN to remove it from TSM.

More info:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21380804
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...om.ibm.itsm.db.orc.doc/t_dporc_removebkp.html

Once they have been deleted from TDP/RMAN, the TSM Server will be able to recover the space on tape after the expiration and reclamation has run.

Thanks marclant for your reply.

i understand whole process and the issue got resolved. thanks to all admin's and guru's to be there with helping hands.

Back