TDP_Domino and Month End Backups

Snafu

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to determine the best way to perform month end backups on Domino databases. My IBM rep recommended CommonStore as a possible solution, but I'm curious to see if there is another solution.

The backups would have to be kept for approximately one year.

Thanks

I've never used TDP for Domino but, why couldn't you archive? Having to use another product to accomplish this sounds odd to me.

Apparently you can't put databases on an Archive Tape. I don't understand it myself, but it's what IBM has told me and why I'm wondering how other accomplish this.

@Xeroid

Can you explain how I would achieve this through backup sets? I'm new to TSM.

Interesting. Well if you had no other option you could probably do this. Your company would have to allow the Domino app server to be offline for a period of time to do it.

Register a new node in TSM
Setup a management class for archive.

1) At end of month, take Domino offline.
2) Using the TSM Backup-Archive client or a TSM server client schedule, archive all Domino-related files that you need, using that new nodename and management class.
3) Bring Domino online.

You'd have to do this archive once a month but you could setup an OS script to do it or have a TSM client schedule do it.

Last edited:
Hi,

Or indeed you do as GregE explains, but do not do this with the BA client, because your email is down then. Setup a new node with the TDP domino and create there a domain/mgmtclass with copygroup like vere=13 (12 months + one extra), verd=1, rete=13, retd=13. If you do this, you will not have to keep track and TSM will expire the databases when they are over one year.
If you use backupsets, you do not need to hassle your server, as it is an intern job of TSM. You just do 'generate backupset nodename devc=.... retention=...... ' and TSM will gather every active file version of that node and put it to where your devclass is pointing. Haved used it myself, but I am going to the next months.

Good luck!

Xeroid, I mentioned BA client and taking Domino offline because Snaful said the IBM rep said that it could not be done...........BUT......I think the rep assumed same TSM node. I also assumed that.

But your suggestion sounds good.

Back