TDP PVU Calculator

mikeatkc

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I'm doing my annual PVU and I have completed all the nodes. However, there are several TDP nodes and I do not see any TDP PVU calculator. How are TDPs calculated, I thought it was by TDP node, but apparently by PVU per TDP as well? and similar to regular node?

Thanks.

PREDATAR Control23

I reviewed the table of contents and am not seeing TDP (Tivoli Data Protection). Has the name change? I saw CDP for files, but don't think this is it?

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

scenario 5, page 27-28 - it is reffered to as TSM for Mail (Databases)

Harry

PREDATAR Control23

OK, so let see if I get this right (or that I need more caffeine). For example, I have 16 physical cores total for my Oracle SQL server. I would take 16 x 10 PVU = 160 (i.e. example from p.25 indicates TDP PVU is 10). I know my cores, I just don't have the TDP PVU nail down similar to that of normal server (i.e. # of cores x 50 for certain x86 model and 70 for certain x86 model).

PREDATAR Control23

We have a 16 way P570 server that we use TSM EE, TDP for Oracle and TSM for SAN.

It looks like it's calculated at 1920 PVU (16*120) so MSRP to back up this one server is...

TSM EE- $69 * 192 = $13,248
TSM TDP for Oracle- $133 * 192= $25,536
TSM for Storage Area Networks- $133 * 192= $25,536

Total= $64,320 ???

Just to back up one freaking server? Am I looking at this wrong?

PREDATAR Control23

OK, so let see if I get this right (or that I need more caffeine). For example, I have 16 physical cores total for my Oracle SQL server. I would take 16 x 10 PVU = 160 (i.e. example from p.25 indicates TDP PVU is 10). I know my cores, I just don't have the TDP PVU nail down similar to that of normal server (i.e. # of cores x 50 for certain x86 model and 70 for certain x86 model).

No,
You will need 16 X 50 or 16 X 70, if it is on x86.

Jliehr,
Yes, that is right - your calculation. But you must know that it is a list price, and all IBM list prices looks insane. What you need is to engage your IBM office or BP/Service provider in negotiation about price, and you may be able to achieve a considerable discount.

PREDATAR Control23

No,
You will need 16 X 50 or 16 X 70, if it is on x86.
P570 not x86

Jliehr,
Yes, that is right - your calculation. But you must know that it is a list price, and all IBM list prices looks insane. What you need is to engage your IBM office or BP/Service provider in negotiation about price, and you may be able to achieve a considerable discount.

IBM PVU pricing looks insane no matter how you slice it. It's just the list price is a worse level of insanity than your company-negotiated price. Cut it in half and it's still insane. I think he'll still be looking at $30-40K.

I understand their PVU pricing, but as I've said before, it should apply to application server software Websphere, etc) at best, not to a utility such as a backup client.

PREDATAR Control23

P570 not x86

IBM PVU pricing looks insane no matter how you slice it. It's just the list price is a worse level of insanity than your company-negotiated price. Cut it in half and it's still insane. I think he'll still be looking at $30-40K.

I understand their PVU pricing, but as I've said before, it should apply to application server software Websphere, etc) at best, not to a utility such as a backup client.

Yeah, we'll certainly get a discount, but it's still crazy high. We had 40K + PVU's at one point, but switched to Avamar from EMC for the majority of servers, just have a few that were supposed to go Networker that didn't work out as well. We had kept 8000 PVU on PA, and enough of the TSM for SAN to cover the old boxes but we just upgraded from P5's to P6's. We have yet to do TSM TDP for Oracle, I am not seeing much benefit to it in all honosty. Currently we do RMAN to SAN mounted disk, then let TSM EE pick up the files.

We are backing up to LTO-3, but moving to Data Domain for this, if it weren't a 5 TB database i'd just RMAN directly to the NFS mounted DD, but we only have GB ethernet for these so that would take FOREVER.

PREDATAR Control23

Curious, what kind of pricing do you see for Avamar, and what is their pricing calculation model?