1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

TDP Mail Exchange and FastBack for Exchange

Discussion in 'Exchange / Outlook' started by andersonnuss, Feb 16, 2009.

1. andersonnuss

andersonnuss New Member

Hi People,
    I'm trying to restore some mails using FastBack for Exchange and TDP Mail.

I'm restoring my database using the restorefiles parameter for tdpexcc.exe.
    I'm restoring this files to a network share for open it with FastBack for Exchange.

So after restore the databases files, I'm trying to open the .edb files using FastBack For Exchange, but every Database that I try to open occours the error:

"FBSX5003W Could not find any mailbox in the file."

I'm shure that this database have mailboxes.
    I copied the database to localdisk for the machive where I'm installed the FastBack for Exchange but the error persist.
    I'm found a documentation that show that this operations is supported.
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27013336&aid=1

I'm doing legacy backup with TDP Mail.

The machine where is installed the fastback for exchange is a Windows XP SP2.

I'm not using fastback mount.

FastBack for Exchange version: 5.5.1.0

I need help.....

3. mallirajan

mallirajan New Member

TSM Admin
    Hi As the fast back cant find the file because of the particular file is not restore to the original location.

Have u restored to exchange server to original location or to recovery storage group if configure.

If to the original location, Did the restore got success.

4. johansen

johansen New Member

I've a question regarding this topic.

We are searching for a new possibility to restore our exch2003 databases/mbx or even single mails without restoring any data from the TSM Server (vers. 5.4.3.2).

now I've heard something about this fastback for TSM exchange, my question can you directly restore single mails/folders from TSM without the need to restore anything?

5. mallirajan

mallirajan New Member

TSM Admin
    Hi johansen,

You can use Fastback for TSM for Exchange to restore single mail box without any additional configuration needed as we do in other softwares.

6. ukhan20

ukhan20 New Member

check your exchange db

tdpexcc q tsm * /all /FROMEXCSERVER=exhangeserver

Restore to Different location:

tdpexcc restorefiles "First Storage Group" FULL /OBJECT=20090216172400 /INTO=C:\TEST /FROMEXCSERVER=exhangeserver

this would have to restore to different loaction with object Id and storage group too
    than use fastbackup to open the edb file and u can recovery the individual mail box

7. johansen

johansen New Member

well, I thought you can use tsm fastback to restore single mbx/mail without needing the restore to edb file?

because mallirajan wrote it's possible and you state to restore the edb and then restore the mbx/mail ???

can someone pls clarify...

8. hakanen

hakanen New Member

Storage consultant
    When you restore using the FastBack for Exchange, the product kind of "mounts" the backed up edb file much in the same way you mount a windows share, you then read the backed up edb file and grabs whatever you want to restore from whitin the backup image.

Having spent time with both the TSM TDP for Exchange 6.1 and FastBack for Exchange products I must say the Fastback restore function is much more user friendly.

HTH
    Hakan E

9. foozi

foozi New Member

First of all, its better to run the backup with FastBack because yo dont need to have time "backup windows" anymore & you ahe a better RPO And RTO, becuse you dont need to restore the edb file.

With FastBack mount you have the possibilty to virtual mount the backup & see de edb from your explorer.

After that you have to create a mail user profile in your desktop to open the FastBack For Exchange GUI & made the restoration of mails attachments, notes... of the user that you have create the profile.

Best regards,
    Foozi