TDP for VMware Restore Question

JonF

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I have recently taken over a TSM environment, and was recently requested to do a full VM restore. I am using the TDP for VMware plugin and the restore has failed a couple of times so far. I went back and looked at the backup schedule and it looks like there was only 1 full backup taken about 5 months ago and just incremental taken since then. The VM in question is a thick provisioned VM with only 100GBs of space. The last time I tried the restore it failed after processing over 500GBs. I had assumed that this was running an incremental forever and in doing so only needs the last backup that was requested. Is this the case or does TDP have to process all of the backups beginning at the full from 5 months ago?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PREDATAR Control23

With incremental forever, the client still has to restore all the various blocks that make the entire VM, as only changed blocks are backed up during each backup. However, that is quicker than a full+incremental+incremental because of grouping.

With a full+incremental+incremental, that most current full is restored, then each subsequent incremental backups.

Here's a comparison of various methods of backups, and their impact during a restore: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...m.itsm.client.doc/c_bac_usingvcb.html?lang=en

The type of backup taken will dictate how the restore will behave.

PREDATAR Control23

OK I believe I understand but bear with me as I just want to make sure what I have is correct. If I have a 100GB VM that has 10GB of changes each day and 101 backups (1 full and 100 incrementals) the TDP would need to process 100GB + (10GB X 100) = ~ 1.1TB?

The reason I feel I am confused on this is that when I try to create a backup schedule the only options I have are for full and incremental, there is nothing in there for incremental forever. Am I missing something else?

Thanks

PREDATAR Control23

What version of the client do you have? It was introduced at 6.4, anything prior would not have it.

PREDATAR Control23

OK I believe I understand but bear with me as I just want to make sure what I have is correct. If I have a 100GB VM that has 10GB of changes each day and 101 backups (1 full and 100 incrementals) the TDP would need to process 100GB + (10GB X 100) = ~ 1.1TB?
That is correct if using Full+Incremental instead of Incremental-forever-incremental

PREDATAR Control23

It is 6.3 which would explain it. Just hard to grasp that it would be set up that way. Thanks again for your help.

PREDATAR Control23

Ideally when doing full+incremental, you'd want to do a full on a regular basis, to reduce what you are seeing. Moving forward, upgrading to 6.4 or 7.1 and use incremental-forever-incremental would be highly recommended.