TDP for SQL - What am I missing?

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I am trying to eliminate my TDP for SQL custom backup scripts scheduled from the TSM server to backups scheduled from the client side. Right now I only know how to open the TDP for SQL GUI and select and schedule the existing databases for backup. My question is how do I setup a SQL backup from the client side that will "see" any new databases that come along?

so, from the client GUI I want to setup a Full, Diff, and log backup schedule for an instance. Is that possible?

PREDATAR Control23

tdpsqlc backup * full
/sqlserver=. /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /config=tdpsqlc.cfg

tdpsqlc backup * log /sqlserver=. /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /config=tdpsqlc.cfg

tdpsqlc backup * log /sqlserver=. /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /config=tdpsqlc.cfg

Modify to match your requirements

PREDATAR Control23

This type of backup needs to be done via CLI or Windows Scheduler.

The second line of smajl post should really read:

tdpsqlc backup * diff /sqlserver=. /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /config=tdpsqlc.cfg

for DIFFERENTIAL backup

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the replies, but I am trying to get the DBA's to stop using custom scripts for DB backups. Found we had a lot of the scripts reporting successful backups only to discover that in some cases nothing was backed up. Just trying to coding out of the equation and use only the "tools" provided by Tivoli.

So, is there no way in the Tivoli GUI to setup a SQL backup that will "see" any new databases that come along?

PREDATAR Control23

You can use the GUI but this would be very manual. Every time you start the GUI, TSM will scan and you can see new DB. But for automating it, you can't use the GUI.

No one does TDP for SQL automated backup through the GUI.

PREDATAR Control23

Ok, thanks Moon-buddy. In my environment I have DBA's Gone Wild. Some use BAT/CMD files, some use VBS scripts, and now they are getting into PowerShell scripts to execute the TDP commands. Already an impossible to support and unreliable environment. Looking for a way to simplify and standardize the TDP for SQL backup. Any suggestions?

PREDATAR Control23

I have gone away from TSM to schedule TDP FULL, DIFF, and LOG backups.

The DBAs use SQL agent, and any missed backup is their responsibility. You just have to make this 'new rule' clear to everyone.