• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

TDP for SQL - What am I missing?

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
I am trying to eliminate my TDP for SQL custom backup scripts scheduled from the TSM server to backups scheduled from the client side. Right now I only know how to open the TDP for SQL GUI and select and schedule the existing databases for backup. My question is how do I setup a SQL backup from the client side that will "see" any new databases that come along?

so, from the client GUI I want to setup a Full, Diff, and log backup schedule for an instance. Is that possible?

smajl

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
tdpsqlc backup * full
/sqlserver=. /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /config=tdpsqlc.cfg

tdpsqlc backup * log /sqlserver=. /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /config=tdpsqlc.cfg

tdpsqlc backup * log /sqlserver=. /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /config=tdpsqlc.cfg

Modify to match your requirements

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
This type of backup needs to be done via CLI or Windows Scheduler.

The second line of smajl post should really read:

tdpsqlc backup * diff /sqlserver=. /tsmoptfile=dsm.opt /config=tdpsqlc.cfg

for DIFFERENTIAL backup

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Thanks for the replies, but I am trying to get the DBA's to stop using custom scripts for DB backups. Found we had a lot of the scripts reporting successful backups only to discover that in some cases nothing was backed up. Just trying to coding out of the equation and use only the "tools" provided by Tivoli.

So, is there no way in the Tivoli GUI to setup a SQL backup that will "see" any new databases that come along?

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
You can use the GUI but this would be very manual. Every time you start the GUI, TSM will scan and you can see new DB. But for automating it, you can't use the GUI.

No one does TDP for SQL automated backup through the GUI.

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Ok, thanks Moon-buddy. In my environment I have DBA's Gone Wild. Some use BAT/CMD files, some use VBS scripts, and now they are getting into PowerShell scripts to execute the TDP commands. Already an impossible to support and unreliable environment. Looking for a way to simplify and standardize the TDP for SQL backup. Any suggestions?

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
I have gone away from TSM to schedule TDP FULL, DIFF, and LOG backups.

The DBAs use SQL agent, and any missed backup is their responsibility. You just have to make this 'new rule' clear to everyone.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 48 63.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 9.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elior4444