TDP for SQL v7.1.3 & SQL SERVER 2008 R2 SP2

ILCattivo

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
According to the IBM Hardware and Software requirements article for the TSM TDP for SQL v 7.1.3 the following SQL versions are supported.

X86

MS SQL Server 2008 SP3 and later

MS SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 and later

Standard, Enterprise & Data Center Editions

X64

MS SQL Server 2008 SP3 and later

MS SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 and later

Standard, Enterprise & Data Center Editions

When I run the SQL backups manually or via a scheduler I get the following error message within both sqllog.log & sqlsched.log

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Its as if it keeps requiring something from SQL Server 2012 maybe?

Any ideas how I can get round this or fix it?

NB:// The TDP version was recently upgraded from 6.4.1 to 7.1.3 and has not worked since! Reverting back is not an option as 6.4.1 seemed to refuse to send it's RC= codes back to TSM and thus all backups reported as failed even though they actually weren't...

Many Thanks

cmd that's being called is below..

set sql_dir=C:\Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\TDPSql

C:

cd %sql_dir%

rem ==================================================================
rem The two lines below put a date/time stamp in a log file for you.
rem Note: You can change "sqlsched.log" to whatever you prefer in
rem lines below.

date /t < NUL >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log
time /t < NUL >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

rem Now call the command-line interface to do the backup:
rem
rem Replace "srvrname" with the name of the options file name you
rem plan to use.
rem
rem If SQL authentication is being used and the SQL login settings have
rem not been stored via the GUI, you must also specify the /sqluser and
rem /sqlpassword options on the command below.
rem
rem In this example, we use the '*' to back up all of the databases
rem on the SQL server. Note that database 'tempdb' will not
rem be backed up.
rem
rem Note: You can change "sqlsched.log" and "sqlfull.log" to
rem whatever you prefer.

%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup * log /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\sqllog.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

set RC=%ERRORLEVEL%
echo --------------------- >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log
echo Return code was %RC% >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log
echo ===================== >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log
exit %RC%

Hi Trident, many thanks for the reply and happy new year to you and everyone from ADSM.org

So, I've taken a look at the packages installed on the server in question where MS SQL 2008 R2 SP2 & TDP SQL 7.1.3 reside and the following is already present...

Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Thanks Marclant..

The following software products are in place on the server but to no avail.. Still get the same errors in both sqlfull.log & sqllog.log

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 -64bit
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 - 64bit
Windows Powershell 3.0
Microsoft Management Framework 3.0
Microsoft .NET framework 4.5
Tivoli Storage Manager Backup Archive Client 7.1.4
Tivoli Storage Manager Data Protection for SQL 7.1.3

Server has been rebooted too.

Tdpsql for mssql has some tricky prerequisite packages bundled and installed during installation, and weird dependencies. One of them is Sql server management objects for ms sql 2012 (or 2016). It apparently wasn't installed.
Install it manually, package is present after unpacking tdpsql installer in one of subfolders. Or reinstall whole tdpsql software.
If you won't succeed, I can lookup my notes regarding this issue.

Basically you need to have following prerequisite installed:
C:\tsm_images\7.1.4.0-TIV-TSMSQL-Win\fcm\x64\sql\7140\enu\ISSetupPrerequisites\Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Management Objects 12.0.2000.8 (x64)\SharedManagementObjects.msi
If there is no dotNET installed prior installing TDPSQL, all my problems were solved by installing dotNET separately, then rebooting server, and then installing TDPSQL.

Basically you need to have following prerequisite installed:
C:\tsm_images\7.1.4.0-TIV-TSMSQL-Win\fcm\x64\sql\7140\enu\ISSetupPrerequisites\Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Management Objects 12.0.2000.8 (x64)\SharedManagementObjects.msi
If there is no dotNET installed prior installing TDPSQL, all my problems were solved by installing dotNET separately, then rebooting server, and then installing TDPSQL.

Hey smajl, many thanks for this info.. Glad to see someone else has also experienced this issue in the past and has resolved it.

I did actually raise a ticket with IBM about this yesterday but am yet to hear anything back from them thus far.
I shall review and compare the software packages you've highlighted in your post and apply any missing ones as per the order and reboot sequence you've advised and see what happens.

Cheers

So, as smajl quite rightly highlighted in his post (#8) there are 3 component modules contained within the following location [C:\tsm_images\7.1.4.0-TIV-TSMSQL-Win\fcm\x64\sql\7140\enu\ISSetupPrerequisites\]

It is recommended that all 3 components need to be installed so that they are at the same level to what the TDP version expects to be using for connecting to SQL. In this case 12.0.2000.8 (64)

One thing that you need to be aware of here though folks, is if you download '7.1.4.0-TIV-TSMSQL-Win' from IBM's Fix Central site, after you apply it you will find it has very kindly removed your sqlclient.lic file from the \TDPsql directory which renders the software unusable. I would copy it out of the location before you initiate the TDP Software upgrade so that it is still available to place back in, post installation.

Other than that, everything is now working perfectly from a SQL TDP client backup perspective.

Many thanks smajl

Regards

Back