TDP for Exchange and NAT

BDMcGrew

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I've run into an interesting scenario where because of a bug in my firewall software with NAT and routing, I can no longer backup my Exchange 2010 server with TDP6 to TSM7.

This all worked in the past, the TSM server was local on the same subnet and life was good. Flash forward and the TSM Server moved to a different subnet that now must route though the firewall and VPN. Now, when TDP goes out to connect to itself for backups it's getting back a public IP, which it can't connect to and fails. I knwo this is a firewall/routing problem but the vendor has basically told me too bad, so sad.

In short, my question is two part.

1) If I were to create another interface in the Exchange host is there a way to force TDP to use that interface and if so, how can I do so? My thinking is if I created another interface that wasn't nat'ed to the outside I'd be able to backup again (I can prove this theory)

or 2) Has anyone else experienced anything similar and can offer any suggestions?

(When I say I can prove my above theory, I've had this same problem on all the boxes that are nat'ed to the outside world regardless of TDP or DSMC. On my Linux boxes I created a virtual interface and used a static route to force DSMC traffic to that interface. Those same attempts failed in Windows however.

Thanks in advance,

-brian

You can force any TSM client to use a specific IP by entering:

tcpclientaddress xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

to the right OPT file.

Thanks for that! I'm thinking it might be exactly what I needed because it pointed out another problem I'm having...

From the nat'ed Exchange server I can't even ping the remote network. And, it's the same for all the nat'ed addresses; so, there is something at the firewall level that has to be resolved first.

My dirty hack was to add the hostname of your fw interface to the local hosts file. Just maske sure it is added as 127.0.0.1

If your fw interface resolves forward and reverse like fw.company.org 192.168.22.22, then add a line in your etc/host files 127.0.0.1 fw.company.org

Thanks for the help!

Using the TCPCLIENTADDRESS got me there!

Back