TDP for Exchange and Firewall Routing Problems

BDMcGrew

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Good morning... I'm using TSM 6.3 and TDP for Exchange 6.3.

I'm trying to backup Exchange 2010 over a VPN to a remote TSM server. The problem I have is this particular server in question is natted though the firewall an TDP wants to resolve it's address as being the public IP and won't connect to itself for the backups.

So, this brings me to two questions:

1) Is is possible, within the TSM Client/TDP Client to force the connections to a specific network interface? I can add another NIC to the machine that isn't natted and my problem would go away. I've searched high and low for this answer and have seen some vague queries on the subject about making Windows do the routing but nothing conclusive. I'm looking for a way to tell the TSM Client/TDP Client to use connection X in the server and just be done with it.

2) If the above is not possible, then is it possible to install the TSM/TDP client on a remote machine without Exchange installed (or a minimal install) and have it backup that way? Or, must the TSM/TDP client be installed on the same machine where all the mailboxes live?

I have proven this is a firewall routing issue because when the TSM Server is local on-site and everything is using addresses from the private network, everything works just fine!

Thanks for any help, TDP for Exchange isn't my strong point :)

-brian

1) Is is possible, within the TSM Client/TDP Client to force the connections to a specific network interface? I can add another NIC to the machine that isn't natted and my problem would go away. I've searched high and low for this answer and have seen some vague queries on the subject about making Windows do the routing but nothing conclusive. I'm looking for a way to tell the TSM Client/TDP Client to use connection X in the server and just be done with it.

Yes, you can.

Bring up the second NIC and update the node settings on the TSM server:

As an example:

tcpclientport 1760 (or whatever you want)
tcpclientaddress 192.168.64.66

The tcpclientport is the LLA and the tcpclientaddress is the HLA (see 'help update node')

Caveat: the node should ALWAYS have the same IP address over the VPN link for this to work. I wonder if you can assign a static IP over a VPN link.

As far as I noticed tcpclientport and tcpclientaddress are used only for informing TSM server that TSM Client scheduler is accessible on that ip:port. As moon-buddy wrote, add 2nd Nic and set up static network route on win server for TSM server IP via this new interface.

I believe this is an DNS issue... Try to put the tsm address on hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts). Like this example:

192.168.0.15 tsm.pmello.local

Back