TDP for Domino question

Sunhillow

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

our Notes ppl always perform selective Notes backups using

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Code:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><PRE> domdsmc.exe selective </PRE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

They say, because the Notes servers always change some status information in the Mail-DBs, a full backup would occur anyway, even if incremental was selected.

Is that true? The "Windows Data Protection for Lotus Domino Installation and User?s Guide" document is not very clear to me there :confused:

Hi!

That is true if not using transaction logging on notes. If using transaction logging you can run par example selective once a week and then incremental + logs rest of the week. This will save massive amounts of backup time.

All this i very good explained in TDP Domino Users guide.

-Tur

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!

That is true if not using transaction logging on notes. If using transaction logging you can run par example selective once a week and then incremental + logs rest of the week. This will save massive amounts of backup time.

All this i very good explained in TDP Domino Users guide.

-Tur</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

and in this scenario you'll need the available disk space to handle logs of one week ;)

Another thing you should keep an eye on is recovery time. While it cuts down backup time, replaying Domino logs is not exactly famous for its performance. I think most Domino users prefer selectives because of that very reason - despite the big, long, slow backups.

Cheers

PJ

Back