TDP for Domino Daily as well as monthly backup

Nakeskannan

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi team,

We are using TSM server 5.5 on Windows 2003 server. We have two Domino servers and we have sucessfully installed TDP for domino on both the servers which are basically Redhat Linux 5.1 (32 bit version). Presently we are taking daily full selective backup of nsf from both the domino servers using domsel.scr script on daily basis. We are having TS3100 tape library with LTO4 tapes to holds the datas from both the domino servers. We have kept backup retention of tapes as 15 days. (i.e we are keeping only 15 days of data in the tapes)

Now we need to take one more full selective backup of all nsf from both domino servers on monthly basis (i.e every 1st or 2nd day of every month). We need to keep this backup up data for atleast one year. We need to create a different storage pool and with different management class but with the same node. Can it be possible. If so kindly share the procedure to do the same.

Kindly share the ideas and views regrading the above query. Kindly help us to resolve the issue

Thanks in advance.

Yours

Nakes Kannan

Hi,
I'm afraid that this is not possible: you can't bind a specific file to more than one management class (no matter whether it's been
backuped with the TDP or normal TSM client). The management class used with the last backup will bind this file and it's versioning /
retention periods.

This is from the 5.5 Admin Guide:
"
Rebinding Files to Management Classes

Rebinding is the process of associating a file or a logical volume image with a new management class.
Backup Versions

The server rebinds backup versions of files and logical volume images in the following cases:

* The user changes the management class specified in the include-exclude list and does a backup.
* An administrator activates a policy set in the same policy domain as the client node, and the policy set does not contain a management class with the same name as the management class to which a file is currently bound.
* An administrator assigns a client node to a different policy domain, and the active policy set in that policy domain does not have a management class with the same name

"

If I need a long term backup auf *.nsf files I use the ARCHIVE-function of the normal TSM client and never had problems restoring
one of these files.

Maybe this is an option for you as well.

I would create a second TSM node for the monthly backup. (NODE_monthly or so).
So the client will call the option files for the second nodename during the monthly backups. Make sure the logs are not required during the restore of an individual mailbox since the logs will be in the regular backups.

Back