TDP Exchange 'Restore Into' warnings give one pause

dwilson2

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

We have just installed TDP for Exchange 6.4.1 on our Exchange 2010 SP3 server. I have created a VSS database backup of a passive DB copy and would like to restore it to a Recovery Database as a test. The empty recovery database has been created and selected as the 'Restore Into' destination via the GUI. When I choose 'Restore' from the Actions menu the client pops up several warnings as if I was about to overwrite one of the production databases. I'm pretty sure I am not but would like to certain before proceeding.

The first warning says: "You have selected a VSS backup for restore. Note the following information: 1. All mounted databases selected for restore are dismounted. 2. If the chosen VSS backups are LOCAL and reside on devices that support VSS Instant Restore, all data on the source volumes is overwritten, including the current Exchnage transaction logs. 3. If the chosen VSS backups are LOCAL, and there is more than one backup generation that resides on space-efficient target VDisks in a SVC 5.1 cluster, all newer generations of LOCAL VSS backups including the currently selected generation, is deleted by SVC during VSS Instant Restore."

The VSS backup is NOT LOCAL and the "Instant Restore" option is set to 'False' so notes 2 and 3 should not apply. However I would like to be sure that note 1 does not apply either and I am not about to dismount the source database.

If I click "Yes" the following warning is displayed: "At least one item that has passive database copies is specified for restore. When restoring this type of database, care must be taken in handling the database copies. If you have not prepared the passive database copies for restore or are unsure of the necessary steps, consult FlashCopy Manager documentation for details. When restoring a Database Availability Group (DAG) database, additional steps must be taken to suspend the database copy and update the database copy prior to bringing it online."

The backup was created from the passive copy of a database in a DAG and I am restoring it to a non-replicated Recovery Database. But this message does not acknowledge the destination I have selected via the 'Restore Into' option. So how can I be sure the restore operation will over-write the Recovery Database and not the original?

The v6.4 "Installation and User's Guide" does not detail these warning messages or the precise sequence of events during a restore. I have not used TDP for Exchange before so I am reluctant to go any further. Can someone with experience with this type of restore tell me if I have the correct settings to use the recovery database without affecting the production database?

Thanks

Attachments

• TDP_Exchange_Restore_Into_Warning_1.png
    TDP_Exchange_Restore_Into_Warning_1.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
  • TDP_Exchange_Restore_Into_Warning_2.png
    TDP_Exchange_Restore_Into_Warning_2.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 3
Back