TDP Domino restore from another node

iklak

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm using the TDP for Domino on linux and I want to restore a DB from an other node using the command line tool
domdsmc restore xxx.nsf -server=<othernode>

I get the "No database were found that match the file specification entered" message.

After all I tried to check the available DBs with the
domdsmc q dbb "*" -server=<nodename> command

If the nodename is the other domino server the message is "There are no database backups for the server named <nodename>"
But if on the nodename on the server that the backups were made on I give out the command I can see the database list.

What's wrong? How can I restore .nsf databases from an other domino server?

Last edited:
If You can, restore the db to the server it were backed up from.
Use beloved copy/paste mechanism and there you go! :p

OK but how can I restore if the hardware crashes and I have to reinstall everything on the server that the backups were made on.

I think that's not enough if I set the same settings etc. nodename, adsmpwd ....
It's going to behave like the other domino server where I want to restore.

Is there a best practice bare metal recovery in case of TSM Domino?

Well for the BMR, TDP is not enough. With TDP You can only backup/restore domino databases (nsf).
For BMR, you'll need to use BA client, and backup your machine, domino directory and so on. I am not much of a domino admin, but good practise is to have domino server installed on one filespace (for example partition D on windows server), and the whole base structure on the other (for example E).
Thus, You'll get threee filespaces + Systemstate to backup with BA client. The filesysystem with nsf files can be backed up less frequently.
When backed up system crashes, You should be able to restore OS, Domino server, nsf directory structures. Domino server 'should start' (consult your domino admin on that point). With this setup running you can restore nsf databases with tdp using the same nodename, opt files, settings and such.
You can also forget about tdp for domino and backup nsf dbs as normal files using LVSA (tested on my environment).

Last edited:
To recover a DB to an alternate server you will need:
- a very simple notes.ini;
- a copy of the .id file from the original Domino Server;
- and a copy (or recreated) opt & cfg files for TDP Domino.

The notes.ini will be something like this...
[Notes]
Directory=e:\restore
KeyFilename=<original_domino_servername>.id
TRANSLOG_Status=0
TRANSLOG_Style=1
TRANSLOG_Path=e:\restore
TRANSLOG_MEDIAONLY=1

The opt file will need to contain the nodename of the Domino server that you want to restore from. Update NOTESINIPATH in your cfg file to point to the new notes.ini.

Put the copy of the .id file into the Directory, as specified in the new notes.ini.

You will then need to restore the last transaction log (if you are running trans logging):
domdsmc restorelogarchive

Update the notes.ini to enable translogging by setting:
TRANSLOG_Status=1

Now you can run the restore:
domdsmc restore <database name> /pick=showall

To activate the DB run:
domdsmc activate /applylogs=DD-MM-YYYY,HH:MM:SS

For more info check the IBM TSM Information Centre - here's the link to the TDP Domino Alternate Server Restore documentation:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...com.ibm.itsmfm.doc/dpdomw123.htm#task_domcar2

Back