TDP 7.1.1 Errors - An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch

Newcomer

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have some errors while trying to backup a SQL database using TDP 7.1.1 on a Windows 20012 R2 server.

TDP Version 7.1.1
BA client version 7.1.1
Server: Windows Server 2012 R2
SQL Server 2012

Both my regular backup scripts and manual DB backup trying both full backups and log-ones from the GUI fails with the following errors:

ACO5422E Received the following from the MS SQL server:
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
BackupVirtualDeviceSet::Initialize: CoCreateInstance failure on backup device 'TDPSQL-0000060C-0000'. Operating system error 0x80070005(Access is denied.).
BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally.

Once i try the backup the SQL VSS Writer goes into State [8] Failed Non-retryable error
I have tried to change the SQL Server VSS writer to run as the local admin account as well with no change.
Reinstalled the BA client, TDP client and rebooted the server endless times.

Before i try the backup i check both vss writers and providers and everything is fine until the backup operation fails. This server isn't yet in production so i can test quite a bit, but i'd rather not want to reinstall the entire server. And i haven't had this issue ever before on any of our SQL servers. First i thought that the DBA has updated the server templates that included some bad hotfixes och patches. But when i tried the TDP installation on another new server with the same template it worked just fine.

The event viewer leaves me with the following information:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IVssAsync::QueryStatus. hr = 0x80042318, An error was detected in the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). The problem occurred while trying to contact VSS writers. Verify that the Event System service and the VSS service are running and check for associated errors in the event logs.

A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f4, The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur.

If i do the backup of the database directly from the SQL management studio as a task it works. And the the installation procedure, scripts and everything is the same that i use for all other servers and that works fine. So i can rule out any error with tdpsql.cfg / dsm.opt files since i use the same one except for the nodename and db include/exclude statements.

Any tips / ideas on where i should continue to look or what i should try? I have most likely missed something that i have tried or done but i have never had this much issues with a TDP installation before.

Back