Tape library on target server?

tmaria

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

we have setup a new IBM Spectrum Protect Server ver 8.1.3 on a new HP DL380 server. We are also running TSM ver6.3 on a second server, which has attached an IBM TS3200 Library , with scsi connection. The TSM ver 6.3 server will be decommissioned soonm since there no clients backup to.
We need to have a DR procedure. Since we can not install our tape library on DL380 Server (because of old technology), we plan to setup the old TSM server as a target server of IBM SP 8.1.3, with minimum policies (because of lack of storage on this server).
Can we make use of the TS3200 library? Can we have it installed on target server, and copy the stgpool to the tapes? (somehow a copy-container stgpool, but not of the primary server, but of the target server. The tapes will be managed by DRM and store in a different place

Thank you

Maria

PREDATAR Control23

A copy-container stgpool is a local copy of the data to tape. You cannot direct copy the DL380 data to tape drives attached to another server.

PREDATAR Control23

You could have 2 options:

Option 1 (my preference):
Source server with container pool
Target server with container pool and copy container pool (tape)

From source, protect and replicate to target container pool
From target, local protect to tape

You end up with 3 copies. If the source is damaged, you repair from the target. If the target is damaged, you repair from tape or you replicate the data again.

I don't know if DRM works with local protect as it does with backup stgpool, not saying it doesn't, just that I don't know.

Option 2:
Source server with container pool
Target Server with a primary tape storage pool
Use replication only from source to target. The data is rehydrated, sent over the network to the target server and written to the tape pool

PREDATAR Control23

Dear Marclant
Many thanks for yours suggestions. Do you know where I can find documentation especially for option 2. Do you know whether option 2 can be implemented with DRM? Also what about DB? I need to backup DB, not only on disk, as I do now, but also on tapes. Any suggestions on this?

many thanks
Maria

PREDATAR Control23

You just configure server 2 like a traditional server using disk and tape pool, and you should be able to do everything that a traditional server can do.

Downside to this option:
- data is rehydrated, so replication will run a lot longer than with option 1
- data is rehydrated, so the target will require more storage than the source
- the number of sessions you use for replication will be limited by the number of drives you have unless you have a random disk pool to accept the data, then migrate to tape

PREDATAR Control23

Did you test such a solution? Can I apply DRM on the second server?

PREDATAR Control23

Did you test such a solution?
I personally did not test it.
Can I apply DRM on the second server?
The 2nd server is a traditional server, you can do anything you would do with a traditional server. The only thing different is that it is a target server and can accept replicated data from a source server.

PREDATAR Control23

You should probably work with your IBM rep to get a solution that is right for you. This forum (or any online forum for that matter) is not the place to do solution design. You may have business requirements that would push you towards or away from certain solutions.