Tape Library in remote site with storage agent, possible?

thestorageagent

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

I'm new here but I have been following/reading for 3+ years already. I need some help regarding TSM storage agent and tape libraries with remote configurations:

We have a remote site where we need to backup a few servers using TSM.

We have a SAS TS3100 tape library attached to a server, and we cannot install TSM server on it.

Is it possible to have the storage agent installed on that machine, and perform a "LANFREE" configuration on the servers in the site to backup to this storage agent instead of the TSM?

Reasons why this would not work:
-no path from TSM Server to Library in remote site
-no path from TSM server to Drives in remote site

Thank you.

PREDATAR Control23

Any help? Anyone?

Maybe the following questions are easier to answer:
-Can i have multiple Library managers in my TSM environment (one per site)?
-If i have library managers, do I need to have a path from my TSM server to the Library/Drives?

Thanks again!

PREDATAR Control23

To answer your first post, you cannot have (as you cited) LAN Free backup running if the TSM server does not have a path to the tape drives.

If you have library managers - which you need to have TSM server installed on the remote server (I believe you said that this is not an option) - you don't need physical paths from the Client TSM server to the Library manager to backup nodes.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi moon-buddy, thanks a lot for your reply!

By TSM servers, i meant full instances of TSM.

Can I have multiple library managers? i.e. one per site?

Will the client node still be managed by the primary TSM server in the main site? (schedules, policies, etc..)

Can i install the library manager and the storage agent on the same box?

PREDATAR Control23

By TSM servers, i meant full instances of TSM.

Can I have multiple library managers? i.e. one per site?

Yes you can - I have a setup with three remote library managers.

Will the client node still be managed by the primary TSM server in the main site? (schedules, policies, etc..)

Yes - all you need to do is have a server to server communication setup and other setups configured properly.

Can i install the library manager and the storage agent on the same box?

You can but not recommended. I found this to slow this up and when one freezes, you affect both environments.